• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"APF" How to Manage?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"APF" How to Manage?

Does anyone have an understanding of the new NISA? or these other dreamy programs that are floating around?
    It looks like the lawyers are learning to use computers, yikes!
    http://www.agr.gc.ca/puttingcanadafirst

I don't know if this link will go active.

The APF (Agriculture Policy Framework) like most programs can be seen as a design for what the government would like to do! (Or is it what they would like you to do?)

Even though we may not want to believe it, the programs are developed to help us access assistance through knowledge, information, services or funds! Do they meet the needs? Well in some cases probably, but really for the average producer many of the programs don't make much sense. There is still a big language barrier as you indicated in your first thread of this topic. But not to worry many of the governments own employees don't understand the framework yet! (not sure if this is good or bad) The discussion papers are the result (supposedly) of consultation with industry leaders.As you know the leaders of the industry at this time seem a little less than in touch!

All we can hope for at this time is that producers will understand no one person has all the answers and that we all need to really contribute to our future in a positive way.

My thoughts are;
    We need to stop focusing on the negative and put some positive thoughts into how WE can change the industry.

Stop cutting down people that have new ideas on the table.

Make up your mind that the future is something you will build not anyone else! (You need to work with others to make this happen, but the government will not save you!)

Educated or not you have something to contribute. (Many producers I have met consider themselves as not educated because they did not finish school or have no formal letters around their name, if you make a farm work then your hands on real world education beats book learning hands down ... CONTRIBUTE WHAT YOU KNOW! STOP MAKING EXCUSSES!

Keep in mind people are people and there is always going to be the one or two people that KNOW EVERYTHING and say and do things that make you feel like you know nothing. You want to survive ??? take what you do know and share that information in a positive way!

Stop wasting energy on fighting and put the energy into building your future.

Leave the politics to the politics.(Seems if you ask why, what, when or how ... some politicians would rather tell everyone behind your back that you are a trouble maker rather then ask you why you ask the questions or look for the answers or enter a discussion.) Sad but then I guess this is what they do?

Any way these are some of my thoughts, I would be interested in hearing yours? As far as the safety nets and programs such as those .... All I can ask is ... Are these programs subsidies?? Maybe this is how they are seen?

Comment

Well here's my contribution, The new NISA is actually a CFIP in NISA's clothing. There will be accural adjustments & you are going to have to pay premium to get the new NISA.
      As far as old NISA you are going to have 5 years to roll out of it & it is going to count as farm income not investment income as before.
      Your provincial lobby group should have lots of info on it by now so maybe give your local rep a call. In Manitoba phone the Keystone Ag Producers office & they will be more than happy to get the right person.
      If you want to see some truly frustrated people talk to the lobby groups that have been brushed off during this whole process.The Canadian Federation of Agriculture has had lots of brickwall discussions & are getting really tired of being used.

Comment

danm I have heard the same "Brush Off" stories from several ag lobby groups! What is going on there, is there some conspiracy happening? OH MY!!!! I guess the time for the industry to pull together has come and our reps need more teeth .... any observations or thoughts?

PS to the above note ... I am just asking the question would hate to make anyone angry with me ... I am not frustrated .... I don't have a target on my back.

Comment

I have asked this question around alot of tables this winter on how are we going to get together on these issues & get better dentures?
          The system is in place but needs some tweaking so we can get our concerns addressed. It is a monumental task but I think some people should start addressing it & showing what progress they have made instead of what they are not getting.
          Who in the system looks after issues like this?
          I really would like this conversation to keep going as I think it is very important to our future bussiness environment.

Comment

New "Nisa" is just another AIDA or CFIP but with a premium. I never got any money from AIDA or CFIP during the low prices and drought so I can't see putting any money into the new NISA.

My average from the last few years is low enough that if I don't do better than my average I won't be in business. A program that will bring me up to a percentage of a poor average is no help at all !

Comment

danm
              Issues in the industry have divided us for a long time now. From what I can see there is no coordinated group to deal with any of the real issues on the table. We have all heard the industry is fractured and I believe this to be true. One of the main reasons I can see is that there does not seem to be a common easy to understand dialouge happening between the working class industry participants and the academics.

We have been working with these groups in Alberta to try to develop a system that will bridge these gaps and believe me it has been a challenge to say the least! We have made tremendous head way this year and expect to see some of the results of this effort very soon. Once we have established a foundation we will extend this to the national level.

Yes the old boys are out there, and the academics have told us producers don't know what is good for them, but seems the producers are sick and tired of being sick and tired. Most of this work has been done by producers that have gathered around them the expertise to put the plan together with little government help to this point! However in the last few months government has at least in the back ground been sitting up and taking notice as the grass roots begins to form. Several ag sectors are beginning to raly around and ag production in our growing membership is now in the thousands, enough to stir government interest.

The bottom line is danm that the industry needs to be representated as a whole industry and the issues inside it are just that individual issues that need to be addressed in your best interests. Dealing with them on an individual bases keeps us all fractured and it is time we pulled together and talked with a common voice looking after the industry as a whole.

Your thoughts?

Comment

Is it your organization that is slowly getting the ag industry together? Are you doing it through the facility you started or are there other endevours you are doing to help this industry?
                Would you be interested in start tying Manitoba into your group?
                I see an opprotunity for us all here so what can I do?
                Great Comments keep er going.

Comment

danm
                  The concept is to tie groups in from across Canada. Although we have started in Alberta we are in close discussions with National groups as part of the success formula (we believe) is to have a National presents. We are most interested in discussing a Manitoba group.

We already know that without producers taking part in the early stages the academics will take over and tell us all what is good for us! In saying that we do need all parties to become involved but keep a balance and for those producers that don't feel they don't understand then we help them work through it.

There is some movement happening in Manitoba now but so far we feel there is not enough "Grass Roots" involved.

We are moving forward and things are starting to look good as momentuum builds. I am sure we will keep you informed through here and soon in a new web site.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.