• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Letter on Marketing Choice by Minister Chuck Strahl

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Letter on Marketing Choice by Minister Chuck Strahl

Hi Everyone:
    I received this open letter and decided to post it here to add to the debate.

Thanks,

Joe

OPEN LETTER ON MARKETING CHOICE

August 1st was supposed to be ‘Barley Freedom Day’ for Western Canadian farmers. Unfortunately, a Federal Court ruling prevented that from happening. It’s a setback for sure, but not the last word on this issue of freedom by a long shot. After meeting with the Prime Minister in Charlottetown, PEI last week, I can tell you that our Conservative Government is preparing to move forward. One way or another, we are going to provide marketing choice for farmers.

This Government has been clear and unwavering in its commitment to choice, starting with our election campaign in December 2005. That commitment was recognized and in the 2006 General Election, a Conservative MP was elected in the vast majority of ridings within the CWB region. We have been clear, open and transparent in moving toward this objective. Also, the plebiscite held last winter was dramatically clear. 62% voted to end the Board’s monopoly. On the strength of this strong democratic mandate we began the regulatory process. It was logical for us to think that since barley was moved into the CWB by regulations it could be taken out the same way.

If farmers needed any further proof about the positive impact that marketing choice would have on their bottom line, they need look only at what happened to prices following the court decision. Many barley growers were looking at record prices for their grain, but the court decision wiped millions of dollars of potential off of their balance sheets. A monopoly may work for some farmers, but thousands of others will be sure to tell those folks in the ivory towers of Winnipeg (and the provincial governments who funded them) of the frustration and outrage at what it has cost them personally. Their disappointment is palpable, and I share it wholeheartedly.

I am pleased to learn that the Wheat Board has finally recognized that the status quo is no longer an option. As Mr. Ritter has said, it can’t be “business as usual.” Farmers and governments will be watching closely to see if those changes are real and substantial, or merely window dressing. If the Wheat Board won’t take care of people, we’ll do it ourselves because we are the real friends of farmers.

Farmers gave us a clear message – a mandate for change – a change to marketing choice while preserving a strong, yet voluntary, Wheat Board. This is what western farmers want. And this is what Canada’s New Government is going to deliver.

Chuck Strahl
    Minister for Agriculture and Agri-Food
    & Minister for the Canadian Wheat Board

Methinks the board has just accelerated the whole process. If this thing goes to legislation they can just as easily do wheat at the same time and save everyone including themselves a whole lot of grief.

Get'er done Chuck. Get'er done.

Comment

I think you are right. That is what is stupid about this thing.

Those that say they are trying to protect the CWB at all costs are actually destroying it.

The end does not justify the means. You tell me I'm an idiot you fight tooth and nail for control. After gaining control you now tell me that I have to trust you it will be good for me doesn't cut it.

Comment

strahl also has to appear as if he's motivated again because he just got cut off at the knees and is looking pretty ineffectual right now. harper is stepping up but why didn't they introduce the legislation six or eight months ago? how much money has the fumbling of this issue cost farmers?

Comment

Chuck & Steven, are trying to govern like Ralphie and his pals did in Alberta. By regulation, guidance from backroom buddies, then sneak behind closed doors and change regs, without any legislation input. This has worked for years in Alberta, and currently in the good ole US of A. If you aren't with us, you're against us, sound the slightest bit familiar! Chuck should get chucked after this barley fiasco........

Comment

Ralph Klein hated the Legislature...waste of time in his all-knowing world of PC politics.

Now that Harper and Srahl have to face a hostile parliament will they chicken out on this CWB regulatory/statuatory change or leave it hanging until after the next election? Tune into "As the Stomach Turns" for the "final solution".

Comment

I agree that the board has shot itself in foot with the court challange.
              the vote ,although somewhat off the mark with the question (should have been board or no board for barley) was clear enough . a majority of farmers wanted a change accept it and get on with it.

As for strahl's comment that the price of open market barley was proof it was the right decision.
              when oats came off the board the price fell off the map.

the proof , one way or another would have been the next 3-5 years of barley market.

Comment

There is going to be choice.

No if or buts.

The Prime Minister is committed to choice.

Parsley

Comment

When oats were on the cwb the price was too low and farmers just quit growing them. After they were removed the market steadily grew to where it is today. Milling in Portage, sales to the U.S. and all over the world. Farms all over the west and in the Peace River see oats as a viable cash crop. Down here, 90% of the farms that grow barley are hostile. They want choice, like Ontario. Use the cwb if you want to, but a choice of open market sales made continental or offshore or the cwb will make everyone hustle and keep them honest with the farmers. Competition never hurts. The cwb became fat and lazy forgetting that they work for us, not the other way around. For what my opinion is worth, the cwb never worked very hard at marketing feed barley. Like the 90,s with wheat, they wouldn,t let us do it across the us border either. We would make them look bad and we can,t have that could we?

Comment

The CWB is hellbent on insuring they keep fat jobs and fat pay with your money.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley: I agree, PM Harper should be committed.

Comment

And committed to choice, he is.

He says what he means.

He means what he says.

Choice is coming.

Parsley

Comment

The price of barley is now the same as before the court case. Why?

Comment

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he'll keep fighting to end the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly on barley exports, after a court two days ago ruled his plan to do so was illegal.

``I hope the Wheat Board will start working with the government to make sure this is going to happen,

because it's going to happen one way or the other,''

Harper, 48, said at a press conference today in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

Comment

Stubblejumper,

Can you get $4.25 for feed barley?

I didn't think so.

It is time for no-cost export licenses so some growers can fill these premium markets with innovative high quality produce that rewards all value chain participants.

Sure this will take some extra care attention and quality... that is what we are here to provide.. and the reason our forefathers came to western Canada... for the opportunity to create the prosperity we CAN make with hard work and freedom!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...