• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed for birds

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed for birds

Could someone please tell me what type of bird feed is needed for pigeons (smaller birds)? We are a seed cleaning plant and have been selling wheat, peas, hulless barley and oats, lentils to different fellows who have birds. We need to know more.

My Dad, who is a very serious pigeon fancier, has always fed wheat and maple peas with a little corn thrown in for variety. He also feeds them small amounts of flax.
    He has been racing and showing birds (and winning) since the late forties, so he probably knows what he is doing.

Comment

Commercially prepared feeds contain ingredients like: corn, popcorn, Canadian peas, Austrian peas, maple peas, wheat, hulled oats, vetch, buckwheat, safflower, sorghums( kaffir, millet & milo).Various other grains can be used. A substitutes for peas are peanuts, vetch or heat-treated soybeans, hulled barle, rice, buckwheat in small amounts, rye, flaxseed and "Pigeon candy" called hemp seed. This info and more can be found in a book by Cynthia Haynes called " Raising Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Pigeons and Guineas"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.