• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about spring, seeding and higher fuel/fertilizer costs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts about spring, seeding and higher fuel/fertilizer costs

My thoughts are turning to spring, golf and seeding. The 80 cent/l fuel costs are a bit of a wake up call these days. War seems to be almost a foregone conclusion and this will send fuel prices higher.

What alternatives are farmers looking at to manage the expense side of their business this spring? What impact will higher fuel and fertilizer costs have on seeding decisions?

charliep,
    I guess, we will tighten our belts again, continue fixing on old equipment. We will likely seed less, use less fertilizer, and spray down more summerfallow. There is only so much you can do and still keep the farm going. Personal spending will have to drop, any extended holidays are out of the question. We will continue to suffer personally, and look to the Gov't for help. Oh yeah I forgot, lots of Crop Insurance too!!

Comment

Good day Charlie, My thoughts are avoid expensive seed, soil test, put down what is nessesary for an average crop and worry about top dressing only if the crop looks good and prices remain stable.Avoid expensive chemicalswhere possibleand use my FNA membership to access as many inputs as possible. This approach shaved thousands off last years inputs.

Comment

dnach, forgive me but what is FNA and what benefits do membership bring you?

Lee

Comment

Lee;

Farmers of North America... a no frills buying group for farm chem supplies...

I hear no service, backup or returns...

Comment

[URL="http://www.fna.ca/"]
            FNA[/URL]

Comment

CHarlie;

THis is the most expensive year in history for farm supplies to grow a crop...

WE HAVE as a result of the drought, a reduced need for fertiliser... so our cost will be close to the same as last year...

Weed management this spring will be critical... to producing a good crop in 2003... as the drought will no doubt have saved a large germination of nasty problems this spring...

There does appear to be reasonable volumes of certified seed avalible... for those who are serious about planning to put good pure seed in the ground. Last minute buyers will no doubt have a problem... not an unusual situation... but obviously will be a bigger problem this year...

With zero till, spring fuel cost are not that big a deal... on a per acre basis...really a small increased cost.

Thoughts about getting stuck in pot holes... in zero till... can't see the wet spots... especially at night... need good tires and good pulling tractors to take us through seeding...

Comment

Pot holes ? have not seen a pothole in years in the North Battleford region, and looking like more of the same for this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...