• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Cannary Seed become a grain under the CGC?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Cannary Seed become a grain under the CGC?

Charlie and Lee;

DID you see this at;

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/pubs/discussions/canary/canary-e.htm

Looks like the CGC guys are bored... too bad they didn't look after Security respecting Nabors Seeds losses... and make sure the bond was big enough for the grains already covered under the CGC Act...

Since cannary seed is not a grain now, the cannary in Primary elevators is not counted as an asset for bonding purposes of regular CGC grains...

What about CGC Security on Condo Storage the CGC refuses coverage for... on grains in licensed primary facilities... with graded grain receipts?

Shouldn't the CGC clean up it's act on what it already deals with... before messing with more of our products?

The CGC probably has the expertise and experience to add a lot of extra deer poop to canary seed shipments if that is what canary growers really want.

Parsley

Comment

Parsley;

You are really not being very nice you know...

...it was adding poopy dockage back to barley that caused that problem... or not cleaning it at all after charging farmers for cleaning in the first place... you should take your "politically correct pills" shouldn't you?

Comment

Just stating the facts. There is nothing politically incorrect with stating the facts. The CGC did not do their job. The CGC were bad business partners for farmers. Was anyone fired or accountable?

The point is, do the canary seed growers WANT the CGC as business partners?

Parsley

Comment

Hey, parsley, you're back! I asked Tom where you were when we were at Farm Tech. He shouted above the noise something about parsley being laid to rest. So much for that theory Tom.

I figured you probably were in Arizona or Texas or somewhere warm for the winter. How's that for a theory?

Comment

At Farm Tech, CGC Commissioner Albert Schatzke explained how the auditing process works. Licensed companies must supply detailed financial statements every month. The statement for each month is due the 15th of the following month. When the statements are received by the CGC, its auditors review them in detail. Obviously each company's statement is not reviewed on the 15th when it arrives. There are too many companies for that. The entire CGC statement review process takes a number of days to look at all company statements.

Effectively that means that a company can dramatically exceed its bond level in those 15 or so working days between the end of the previous month and the date that the company's monthly report is reviewed. A company can exceed its bond by taking delivery of huge volumes of grain that it doesn't have resources to pay for. Albert wouldn't say if Nabors had deliberately done that but he did say that the only way for the CGC to catch that kind of problem is to have a CGC staff member on site for every licensed company. He also did say if producers notice any company dramatically stepping up its purchases, that should ring warning bells.

Comment

Lee;

Parsley has obviously been brought back from a near death experince... with vim and vigour I might add!

Comment

Lee;

The CGC is not telling the whole story.

The CGC knows seasonal company purchase patterns, for instance that harvest will create more movement off the farm, and has a Canada Grain Act mandated responsibility and obligation, to track, on a week to week basis... the actual liability outstanding against the bond value.

I clearly exposed these CGC obligations in the topics on SWP issues... if you need to review!

The CGC is responsible to maintain the bond value... to current liabilities... as was clearly indicated in the SWP situation last month!

If a CGC Licensee is a grain dealer, instead of a primary elevator, then these requirements are significantly less stringent... but I understand Nabors Seeds was licensed as a Primary Elevator. THe functional difference is that Primary elevator grain stocks are allowed to be committed as assets for bonding purposes... so the CGC tracks these elevator stocks very closely... to insure the stocks can cover producer liabilities the licensee needs to bond.

My explanations may not be perfect, but for sure there is more to the picture than the CGC is admitting!

Comment

Had a date with the flu and it darn near did me in. Never got so sick I couldn't figure out that if the CGC is advising farmers to play their role as watchdog, well, what do we need them for?

Had an interesting thought for you and your coherts Lee. Why don't you set up an online class, charge a fee, and the ones signed up could log in and pick up some marketing ideas from you. You could probably talk Agri-ville into setting up a window to accomodate your vitual classromm.
                  Any potential?
                  Parsley

Comment

Actually, parsley, I like your idea.

We probably can do on-line market management courses with no "political" problems. In fact, we tried doing that with a limited number of people a few years ago. At that time several things were limiting factors, including slow dial-up internet access for many participants. The other issue was that course participants all wanted to talk to a real voice to ask questions. It seems that hunt-and-peck typing is way too slow for inputting technical questions and having detailed discussions.

However, if we were to provide on-line marketing advice and strategies for a fee, the private companies that make their living doing that would complain that government was competing with private industry. That'd shut down our venture in a hurry - Alberta is particularly sensitive to that.

Parsley, I'll start a new topic in this area and we'll see what your idea flushes out of the buckbrush. Give me a hand and I'll see you there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...