• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romanovs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romanovs

All you shepherds sound fairly sane and very helpful, so I am counting on you for some advice. I am looking for some ways to diversify a cow/calf operation and I am considering sheep.
    I have lots of experience calving out cows and that is my favorite part of the operation. I have next to no experience with sheep. I am considering about fifty Romanov Suffolk cross ewe lambs and realize that this will mean more multiple births and, I would assume, more complications when lambing.
    I live in northern B.C, and can't find anyone that has had any experience with this breed, so I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has.

A number of years ago on my first time around a raising sheep I had a few head of Romanov's. These were mainly pure ones. I do not recall having birthing problems any more than on other breeds. I do remember we used to see triplets and quads lots. The lambs were all crossbred and not as big as the other breeds. Something tells me if memory is right that I was impressed by their maternal.

Comment

Thanks Muttley

I had a chance to buy twenty-five ewes due to lamb in March. They are Romney crosses [and the cross part is a little bit of everything]. Now i guess I will look for a Romanov ram and get my Romanov cross ewes the "home grown" way.

Comment

Smithy, I hope your lambing goes well. I haven't had experience directly with Romanovs and about all I know is that they are very prolific.

One person that I know has been raising purebred Romanovs for years is Tom Makowecki and he is around Edmonton. His phone number is (780) 973-3052. His e-mail address is: makowtom@icrossroads.com

He and his wife are likely a wealth of information for you and maybe even a source for your purebred ram.

Good luck lambing and in your sheep venture. Welcome to the wonderful, wild, wacky and just plain satisfying world of sheep!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.