• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed Shortage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Shortage

It used to be an exciting occasion when seed catalogue began to arrive in the mail. There was the anticipation of viewing more info on your favorite varieties in perhaps a new arrangement. There was also the profusion of new products to temp us.

Alas, those days are becoming extinct. Old varieties are being dropped for the annual appearance of the latest hybrid. You must search for stable sources of favorites with hope they are not pressured by seed producers to switch to the next generation hybrids. There is no reliable variety to set your crop dreams on. Even the most popular and highest sales varieties are dropping from catalogues.

Every year will soon become a new trial and error exercise. Trying to match varieties to growing conditions in hope that they will not disappear if found suitable. There is more insentive than ever to save seed and to switch to standard heirloom varieties allowing you to save a true seed.

It is hard to appreciate the challenge faced by a farmer who is also confronted with the protected/patented seeds. To be tied to a contract which in many cases demands use of specific products from the same manufacturer/producer. It is no wonder the small operations are collapsing.

I just desire a dependable source for seeds for my proven favorites.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...
X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
You agree to our and by clicking I agree.