• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low waste bale feeders

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low waste bale feeders

Just wondering what peoples experience is with Hay saver type bale feeders? My experience has been that the cradle type feeders that keep the bale off the ground have waste less, but haven't used them for 20 years, and was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation of a good feeder available in Alberta. I will be using these to feed calves.

With the price of hay this year I think I can probably pay for a feeder this winter if they actually reduce waste significantly.

Time to get with the program - all the smart people are bale grazing, LOL.

Comment

Ian, I do bale graze the cows and feed all the animals on pasture as much as possible including the calves, but with modifications. I know you hate the term bale grazing and the way some practice it, but it's about being adaptable and keeping an open mind. The bale grazing saves me a lot of tractor time feeding and hauling manure. It also improves the pastures a lot. However I use light ring feeders that I can flip and roll by hand to keep the cows off of the bales, feed on a 3 day rotation (too much feed at once = more waste) and limit feed the cows to minimize waste.

Anyway, I was looking for some info on bale feeders for the calves because I don't limit feed them, and they usually have a bale in front of them for 5-7 days especially when they are smaller. Too much waste with cheap feeders when hay is high priced.

Comment

Those blue feeders advertised in the green book are supposed to be good and tough. I think they call them the hay saver. Heck I think they're a couple grand.

We don't bale graze but we tried swath grazing last year. Fenced it off to week allotments and it was ok but way it is this year we will bale everything and feed it. These low labour systems end up wasting too much when feed is short. We usually make and feed the bales in the field. Usually stack them where handy and fence it off then feed up every two days. Try to feed across the whole field pay particular attention to feeding more on the side hills to improve the land. I just don't like the waste of bale grazing without feeders. Sure it'll help the land out but it doesn't help your pocket book when feed is expensive.

Comment

We used one of those V feeders made off well pipe and sucker rod for a few years.
          The waste was relative to to quality of feed you put in it.
          We used it for cows and if you filled it with nice palatable hay you moved it when the manure got to high at the back end of the cows.

Comment

We used one of those V feeders made off well pipe and sucker rod for a few years.
            The waste was relative to to quality of feed you put in it.
            We used it for cows and if you filled it with nice palatable hay you moved it when the manure got to high at the back end of the cows.
            If you feed coarse alfalfa you move it when the bottom fills up with stems.
            The aren't the right size for calves.
            The biggest problem with all the feeders we have had here is when you go out in the AM and find a busted leg or dead heifer stuck in the feeder.
            One dead cancels all your extra effort.
            Round bale rings with sheeted bottoms are poor but maybe the best choice.

Comment

Sorry for the multiple post.
              This format is primitive.
              Thanks again for all the active ads.
              Don't know what I'd do without all those ads flashing every time I touch the keyboard.
              Maybe just quit trying.

Comment

I agree greybeard - the simple rings with sheeted bottoms are fairly cost effective and we never get much waste with them feeding calves. If you feed calves poor quality cow hay you might get more waste.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.