• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good baler type?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good baler type?

Haven't been in hay for so long. What is good baler used to buy? I have several fields that likely will just be bales so looking at buying a baler and doing it myself. Hesston 956, br780 or john deere
    567 all being equal condition wise. And is 18,000 bales lots on those machines?

I would vote JD. We have a 535 currently that just runs. Very simple and tough. The 567 is not as heavy as the 568, but is a good baler. If the bearings and belts are in good shape then 20000 has 10000 left in it.
    On any of them check the electronics close.

Comment

Nobody knows hay like Hesston.

Comment

I personally like the soft core.....simple, easy machines. The center does not get as dusty and moldy as hard core and the outside is usually tighter. Down side is there is no variable sizing....they all are big, but for around the farm, that is great.

Comment

A soft core baler like a New Idea 4865 Hesston 514/814 cheap an simple to run.

For a hard core would look at something like a New Holland 688. Fairly cheap and fairly bullet proof.

Biggest question should be twine vs. net wrap. Net wrap will increase your capacity quite a lot, but a bit difficult.

Comment

Had 530 JD, good, 566 JD terrible pick up, NH 790, watch the stuffers, now have NH 7090, only 15000 on it but seems good. Personally would have a hard time with soft core because never had it. Go net wrap, like another baler in the field.

Comment

The 956A is a Id stay away from. It has too many chains. The main drive shaft which turns the top roller needs to have tension and unfortunately that means that the bearing fails. I went through 2 before trading it off. It also has a difficult time in greenfeed or even heavy hay which might be a little tough. crop wraps around the augers that feed from the sides and blocks. And it throws rocks at the back window. Now I have the upgraded Massey version (2956A) and it has been good so far. I would have went to a Deere but they wouldnt give me anything for the 956A in a trade. The only Issue i have with the Massey is on straw it for whatever reason has trouble with the twine starting on the bale on one arm. I actually have to put both ends of twine through one arm and it works fine. Still havent figured out why it does that.

Comment

Info is greatly appreciated.
                When I started looking never considered net wrap but it seems to be the popular thing.
                I ve got such a mix mash of crop. My early crop is very short thin and ripe but has second growth green taller but just headed out. Then I ve got later seeded barley peas and oats together that is quite heavy actually so would need to have something that could handle a decent swath.
                Don't like the idea of rocks at the back window. Lol.

Don't mind the soft core but I ve heard they might not take in the swath as good.

Comment

SCS

Could you explain more about the netwrap baler to me.

Now starting to look at upgrading a baler and looking at netwrap. Things have turned around here from the rains in late July and early August.

Irrigation first year hay crop is now off and it appears that there will be a second cut of hay in Sept as long as the frost stays away.

dryland areas that were grazed early or hayed early were fertilized and now had about 7 inches of rain on it and there is growth.

I have seen a netwrap baler work beside me now and wow it is like another baler in the hayfield.

If it is on bales that go through a shredder now how does that work. Does the wrap just blow through or do you have to cut and remove?

What is your type of Netwrap baler. what model and make?

Got a new Kuhn rotary rake in the hayfield this year and now everything gets turned with the recent high humidity.

Comment

Ill pipe in with the net wrap. Personally it is awesome when you are selling bales and rollin them up in the field. 5 seconds and the bale is wrapped, kicked out and you are gone again. But it is very difficult to get off a bale in the winter (it freezes on and half the bale comes apart when you pull it off). If you process it with the twine on, it will shred that plastic into small pieces that goes in the feed row or the bedding. Twine generally wraps around the bar and you cut it off later and it isnt all over the field. The cows ingest that net wrap pieces and everyone says its no issue as it goes through the cow. Im sorry but i cant stand to see my cows eat plastic and have all these little plastic pieces all over the field. So to sum up I have net wrap on my 2956A and had it on my 956A before that but I dont use it. Ill take a little more time wrapping with twine. Unless Im selling some straw - then net wrap it is.

Comment

We use 64 inch rather than 67, to start off with, we don't use a shredder, have one but is parked
                      . A three point hitch bale unroller is my choice. Ice can be an issue, we will stand bales on end and that helps, except two years ago, three inches of rain, a sucky time.
                      The hay does keep a lot better with net wrap, more expensive but worth it in our minds!

Comment

So I looked at a baler with a gandy dry applicator
                        Apparently to add a silage preservative type product. Would that be a good idea in greenfeed?

Comment

Can you add net wrap to a twine 688 nh baler?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...