• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newguy:Hail recovery???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newguy:Hail recovery???

How did you make out? Reason I ask is we got some pretty bad hail last night. wondering what worked for you if anything?

Thanks.

Freeewheat, for canola and oats wait a few days and spray some releaf on or dribble 30lbs of 28-0-0. It will be amazing how fast it Bounces back. For wheat and peas it is what it is, usually not good.

Comment

In 2012 when we got hailed..Neighbor sprayed his..It never quit blooming..he ended with zip..Ours yielded 15 b/a..which was VP any way..

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Was on the canola council site and feel much better as my canola was within a week of first flower, so they say it will recover surprisingly well.

They also do not recommend any cure attempts until you know it is going to still have yield potential like you said breadwinner.

I will be watching. Heaven knows there is plenty to too much moisture for recovery. Just hard to look at a very nice crop get mowed down. Some of the neighbors were far less fortunate than I. Late flower and mowed right down.

Will see what happens.

Comment

I had a half get hailed out in 2012. It was just starting to bloom. It looked like it got hit with a heavy harrow from two directions. Just stalks about four inches off the ground remaining. It sent up new branches and still averaged 35 bpa.
          I didn't spray anything on it. I know of a couple guys that hurried out there with Alpine/fertilizer and Headline cocktails with zero response.

Comment

Canola is an amazing plant, thankfully.

Comment

For canola that hasn't flowered yet you won't have as much damage as you now expect.

Just went around with a Municipal Hail adjuster yesterday and crops had bounced back quite well.
              Canola was in 5 leaf stage or so at time of storm.

I tried tank mixing Priaxor on 80 acres a few days after storm to see there will be a difference.

Damage was 5-11% payable on quite severe looking damage at the time.

Neighbours had hail insurance with Canadian Hail....they will be lucky to get paid. (Sounds like a sketchy hail insurance company)

Comment

Agree Oliver. Don't do anything. Your canola will most likely produce better than not hailed. At your stage. Been there done that did not we all???

Comment

Recover on peas resulted in a very short weedy crop.recovery on flax resulted in thin crop and new weed growth.durum recovery was better but because of hot dry conditions it came back thin with lower leaf disease.area that had some earlier moisture and less hail is a above average crop.walked through it first and then to the worst hail crops later and said how can you say the hail never damaged this crop? They paid 0 on cereals hailed June 12.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...