• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday crop report on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday crop report on Thursday!

Well when the sky opens up it really gives rain. Over three inches on half the farm and one to two on rest. Light hail from one event.
    So this year continues with scattered rain. Some areas to our north finally got a rain last weekend. A good rain.
    So this week is short as busy doing last hrs for fusarium. We're red zone today if your heading on sask wheat commission map.
    Hrs is a 9 still looking great the early bad half that missed the rains is coming back to a little life but yield is set so that half will be average. Rest of wheat if fusarium doesn't sneak in again should be good, just one rain exhibition week and it's a home run. Nice stands all over, 80% of guys spraying with fungicide. Fields approaching to wet and water sitting in low areas again. Should still soak in but another drench and will see flood damage.
    Canola is in full bloom to just shutting down. Nice thick tall stands big leaf. Minor hail hit a few fields. Some spraying fungicide some not. Lots doing the fungicide at bolt with last rr or liberty. Each variety is showing good points and bad in a normal rain fall year. Our rr is three different varieties and I know hick one will replace the other two already.
    Liberty so far all similar.
    Strait cut DuPont vs strait liberty similar so far.
    Barley early is headed and head starting to fill and bend. Later is just headed or heading. Fungicide on both.
    Oats that looked so poor has received good rain and is filling in nice. It's no yield buster but going to do ok.
    Durum in area is thick but early seeded has smaller heads than I would like to see, maybe the dry month before had something to do with that.
    Flax is all over from wow and tall to wow and wtf.
    Peas the early have shut down and have lost some of the top off yield as they were flowering full in the 30 plus weather. The later are doing very good. Real late issues are showing up because of excess rain on them. All sprayed with new priaxor.
    Corn is back to life after chem burn that may cause other issues come summer with poor rooting.
    Soy is covered rows and growing tall about over the knee and starting to flower. Sprayed with fungicide.
    So to sum up our area all is looking fine, I feel some yield was lost with the excess heat two weeks ago at a critical time for moisture.
    Still looking great but hate to say it rain could slow down and bring on the heat. Push this sucker along.
    Did travel through some really big sick looking crop areas this past week. Guys I feel real bad about the crops I seen. Drought is wicked as plants get real thin sick and short. Hopefully this weeks rain hits and its either total wipeout from hail or enough of a drink to get you over crop insurance and be able to cover costs.
    Remember be safe it's only a crop that they will get the best and biggest share of all your hard work. Leaving you with pennies to continue on.

If we saw 3 inches of rain this way, we'd be dancing for a week.

Comment

Finally got some meaningful rain on most of the farm over the last couple of days. It's 2 weeks too late to add any yield but everything should fill plump now.

Peas are podded out and most seeds are hard and getting that starchy taste. They had a good catch but only 3-4 pods per plant with 4-7 peas per pod. Yield estimate, 25-35bpa. They will likely be burnt off in the next 10 days.

Barley beside it headed out fairly nicely, decent heads with 18-24 kernals. Had to reseed some of it and the reseed stuff actually looks a little better awns just poking out. It should hold on to a 50bpa, may get up to 70 depending on how bad the hills burnt out.

Canola. All but done flowering, except the stuff that finally germinated two weeks ago. Thin, lots of aborted pods. Should break 20, has a shot at 30 if these last flowers fill nice and the patches fill in.

Hard white wheat. Done flowering and well on it's way to filling. Patches filling in where spring germination was an issue. What's there has shit little heads on it but it is trying to fill 6 rows so that's promising. Early counts peg it at 20-35.

So it may not be a complete blow out but it sure sucks when you're sitting with 6" of moisture in reserve and you get virtually no rain for 85 days. 1" in June would have made this my best crop ever.

I held tight on top dressing this year so my crop is a little smaller stature than some of the others in the area with only 50 lb of N but I don't think that was the limiting factor this year as my head and pod counts are no worse than the crops with full groceries.

Comment

Three rains in three days but different amounts maybe inch and a half average.

Guessing but the lentil crop could be a monster.

Comment

We will be doing something with our peas PDQ(pretty darn quick). They're "maturing".
          Seeded April 29 - May 2.

Comment

Generally, crops in this area are excellent.

On our farm, annual ryegrass in getting mature. It's an excellent stand, although a lot of wild oats are showing up in one field. Low rate Puma doesn't work well here.

Barley just looks excellent. It's still standing after several hard rains. Filling well. Fusarium very low so far.

HRS wheat is a fantastic stand. It's been flattened 4 times and stood back up 4 times. I don't know if will take it again.

Canola looks to be a great stand again. Rovral, foliars, especially boron, and Lignohumate applied on most. Just the reseeded canola to do. I expect disease in canola to be high. Conditions here are ripe with high humidity, heavy wet canopy, mushrooms everywhere.

Soybeans look fabulous. Lots of flowers coming. Dug out a few plants and looks like there's quite few healthy nodules. I wish it had stretched a little more coming up so pod set would be higher.

Hay crop still has potential for decent tonnage but, haying weather could be a lot better.

Comment

Still waiting for a rain to germinate the oats and radish and the fertlizer to dissolve seeded before June 10.

Super hey.

Comment

Crops are less yellow, all cereals headed, good to very good. Another 1.1" locally, some 2-3" spots and pea hail. More advanced than last few years. See Sk crop report for NE.

Comment

FLIP their is a ugly area 10 miles south of you did I think and West about the same did it get rain. Broad acres old shit show.

Comment

Canola is growing 3" per day now... when the sun comes out and warms up crops... later Canola will explode with growth.

Early planted crops took the drought the worst... not unexpected.

As I indicated before... our families farm will likely have all crops reach the 80 percent of normal yields... perhaps flax being the hardest hit... but even flax is in overdrive growing and blooming like crazy now as well.

Faba beans will certainly be interesting to see how the blooms and pods fill!!!

Heavy rain at Killam now... we are closing in on the 1.5 inches rain the DTN forecasters predicted from this rain system Wednesday. Good thing I cultivated the 40ac of Sunroot... and cleaned/cult weeds between the 36 inch rows!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...