• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walkabout-MB. style

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walkabout-MB. style

Took a crop tour today, drove 600 km. went from the US. border to Ste rose du lac ( 100 km north of yellowhead hwy ) on # 5 hwy then went west on#5 and came back on hwy #10 ( south to US. border ) almost everything looked good to very good. Conclusion- MB. will be 100% of normal. ( didn't need to look at red river valley, they don't have crop failures )

That's what Im guessing is Manitoba will be back to normal.
    Were their extra acres that got seeded that were flooded last year?
    Also heard that if it stays nice and a very open fall the late reseeded stuff looks very good.
    I'm guessing East Sask has pockets of not so nice mixed with ok to very good. West side not very nice. Alberta has issues. But like their new AG minister said yesterday, Sorry for your loss you have programs in place, have a great day.
    Red river valley had a crop failure once. Gee your right that area is always a plus plus size.

Comment

Stone picker-
      In your tour did you notice a decent amount of soybeans in western Manitoba?
      Was there many acres that looked too wet?

Comment

What kind of disease pressure did you see?

Comment

Crops look very good to excellent in the Killarney area. We have had a lot of thundershower activity for the last couple weeks. Very humid/smoky and warm conditions will be creating disease pressure.
          Soybeans are quite quickly taking over in this area. Three years ago, you might see a soy field for every 10 miles you drive. Now, there's a field of soys probably every mile or two in any direction you go. Soybeans are loving the heat and moisture. Some fields are so lush they look like cabbaged canola.

Comment

As far as extra acres seeded, i didn't go west too far but i know western mb. has had extreme wet for years and this spring was pretty good, so ya there will be more acres in the ground this year in the western part of prov. . where i drove there was more soybeans than in the past but there's still lots of canola. Lots of rain in central, north central mb. this last week ( lots of water standing now ) but no moisture stress from early on. Some drought stress though, not major though. Disease press. looked light, a lot of wht. fields weren't sprayed with fungicide at all ( unless they did them by plane )

Comment

High water table and overfull sloughs mean five to ten percent loss of productive acres in some areas.
              Might take two or three years of below normal moisture to bring them back but would lose production on other land.

Comment

Sure Stonepicker, drive by, don't stop in, I have to drink all this beer myself. Lol.

I agree with your assessment of MB crops. Around Melita though there areas challenged again with too much rain.

Comment

haha, i'm sure i'll see you at the happy place sometime!

Comment

RRV gets shit on just like other areas of western canada. Just ask the guys what happened in the 90s

Comment

Not really seabass, sure they have some issues some years, but the valley is one area that can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. very consistant, they get more heat units than anywhere else in mb.

Comment

And a shitload of rain. Believe me they hurt sometimes just like the rest of us.

Comment

The times I have been to Winnepeg, I have seen struggling crops in the RRV along with some excellent ones. Yes, they average better over all, especially with hard red wheat, and they can grow soy without big problems like the rest of western Canada, but to say they never have failures is not accurate, IMO.

I could say before 2004, our area never had failures either, and honestly, the old fellows would agree with me.

Comment

Manitoba will be well above average IMO

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...