• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain just in time or to late!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain just in time or to late!

It's middle of July and for guys who had no rain or little up to now could this shot give them a crop.
    My thinking it was about two weeks to late.
    Wheat the head is made and the plant just wants to fill. Problem could be stools that come now or seeds that didn't germinate now come. Then their will be green heads come September and dead ripe. Does a farmer wait or do they kill what's their and have a nice sample.
    On peas most from what I seen are done flowering and will fill two to three seeds. But what will start to regrow also. Peas are one crop that yield is almost determined. Our area flowered for almost 21 days this rain won't keep them going their are signs their finally shutting down.
    Durum will be like spring wheat fill the head that's their and that's it. Waiting for new growth will screw up a yield and quality is what a person wants. Fusarium will be back on in our area for sure because we're getting really wet again. Water sitting in fields I sprayed yesterday. But in dry areas a nice head that's healthy will pay bills. Second growth will damage a sample and drop grades if it comes in.
    Canola on some fields I saw that we're done flowering will fill pods. New growth might come from ungerminated seeds. This will be flowering after its swath. Or it will be flats done and hilltops just flowering.
    Barley in dry areas was starting to turn. Will it sent new stools or just finish and that ha it.
    Lentils we haven't grown for a while but when we did a July rain really just made plant growth and didn't set that more seeds. Plus disease came in.
    Flax what's their is their.
    So will rain make grain this late in the season, my thinking is rain will make grading issues more than extra profit, managing this harvest will be interesting.
    What do others think?

I quit hoping for rain two weeks ago.

The only thing I would like to see is a shower over the oats to get them started.

Comment

There's going to be some second growth but I look forward to heads filling rather than having a bunch of shrivelled up crap. Billion dollar rain.

Comment

Still at 3 tenths since may 1.

I don't count dust settlers as rain.

Right now it works more like a desiccant.

Comment

.....still waiting for that "big one" over our farm. Everything came up here so there won't be second growth from newly germinated seed. I don't think we will even see any retillering of anything. Not enough rain to trigger anything other than the crop trying to fill whats there. Can't wait to close the book on this one, but I know there are others will bigger problems than me. Next year.

Comment

Depends on the staging. But this area is always much later in maturity in the first place. Our staging is probably two weeks later than SF3's descriptions, so yes, the rain will help a lot. Lots of canola just getting blooming. Early cereals are headed, but not fully. Later cereals are just going to head, and these will be great crops now.

It is all a timing thing, but in the case around here, the later seeded stuff looks amazing, the early birds, we are in a race to be the first done for bragging rights stuff showed the most stress, and will yield much less.

We are an anomoly region.

Comment

What rain? Over 2 1/2 months dry and counting

Comment

My guess by looking at radars across western Canada the last 4 days :
                30% - far too late
                30% - good enough to fill what potential was there
                30% - got *** all other than dust settlers at best
                10% - will be yeild gain or on the edge of too much .

Comment

Maybe 4mm in the last 5 days.

Comment

I guess then we can all agree here that the government will declare the drought over/never started?

Sarcasm of course.

Comment

Should have enough head for 30 wheat 40 barley. Peas 10 - 25. Canola just full bloom now.
                      Roots out of gas. Need rain to fill.
                      How much rain will we need next year with sub soil depleted?
                      Young guy finds hard to believe we farmed corner to corner not that long ago. Takes years of this to get to that.

Comment

Way too late for those that missed the showers all spring. Pathetic spindly canola cannot use it efficiently, short heads on wheat with unpollinated flowers is done.

The guys who got the showers will be ordering more grain bags.

Comment

Way too late for our wheat. Canola and beans will love it. We have some reseeded barley that will slurp it up.

Comment

I think bins will be on sale.

Local coop has 125 5000 bushel bins built on spec. And a 10 bpa area crop develops. I think they too are hoping for a tornado. To birthday that built is expensive.

99 percent of the guys here won't be short bin space.

Comment

Still SFA at Perdue and Cando. Parts of the farm got an inch west of Battleford. At this point the rain will help fill what potential there was left. Everything looked good in yellow last week but it's thin once you get into it. My organic crop planted the first week of June will still benefit. Finally enough moisture to get some plow down crops in the ground. As for the rest I would like to order 6" of golf ball size hail please.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...