• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intellectual Property Laws

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweety your so out of touch....

How many android devices are there? How many things run on the Linux kernel?

What share of servers run Linux?

Most popular database system (mysql) most popular Web server... (apache)...

Php is open source.

You showed your hand there

And all the botching about canola.... quit growing it. Grow Synergy, Earlyone, Westar to name a few.

Comment

Tweety, the reason that I feel these laws should not apply to seeds is basically an ownership issue. When money is transferred in our society, in compensation for an item the propriety is transferred. Also within the Grains Act, the identity is lost, so how is ownership proven? Once I grow it, isn't the product mine?

Comment

not against intellectual property rights at all.

just after 15-23 years the rights expire.
        they should become public property.
        but they are now locked up.
        with use contracts.

it is a good thing Banting and Best are not bayer or monsanto or , every poor diabetic would still be paying 100,000 a year for insulin.

if you feel that in another 10 years , even 30 year old seed technology
        should not be freely accessible.
        is that the world you want?

you think it is a good idea . that 3-4 corporations will soon have a total
        lock on every seed developed in the last 50 years.

basically then if you are going to eat on this planet, you will pay whatever the seed owners demand.

once you control every seed bred in the last 50 years , you do not have to innovate nothing.

if you can charge whatever the market will bare for the same old crap forever.
        what is the point of wasting $ on R&D then.

The old stuff has to be freed up.
        then the value of new real innovation
        can be determined by the marketplace.

getting scary,

the consumer should be the scared one.

at least the seed owner still needs someone to multiply their property for them. Farmers

what canola seed have you owned in the last 25 years . none
        and soon every other seed in every other crop. will be the same way.

what govt. in their right mind would think that this is all a good idea.

and even police it for corporations at the ports with genetic testing and fee collection.

i guess this one . but they are not too good at forward thinking

protect property for sure,but the old stuff has to be free to determine a true market value of the innovation.

just as the diabetic would pay 100,000 a year for insulin.
        people have to eat , and will have to pay whatever the seed owner demands.
        us farmers will just be workers in their factory.

Comment

good post sawfly , pretty well sums it up

Comment

Klause, those are avenues to profit. Just like a "free" flashlight app is an avenue to harvesting your data - that's where the money is. Agriville is free, and yet they somehow pay for time, servers, bandwidth... come on, you're smarter then that. All those things you have listed are free because they have no value, only the products that build upon them have value. Even Visual Studio is free. Its the licensing of useful applications that make the money, no the bricks to build them.

Yes a trillion devices run linux on embedded devices under GPL, but so what, the money is made when you sell the toaster.

Best example i can think of to your GPL analogy is the DNA sequencing of canola. Like the embedded IDE and programming languages for devices the knowledge of the DNA sequence allows you to make novel products - just like thousands of hours of expensive coding and debugging time with that "free" OS. That takes money and research, lots of it.

sawfly, been thru that, patent is over in 2022, the law change is not Monsanto's fault. Key point, its not forever. And besides even after it expires, you've signed a contract saying you won't grow it anyways - nothing to even do with the patent act.

sumdum, when you "transfer money for an iPhone" does that give you any right whatsoever to make an iphone or use any technology within that phone to make your own and not pay Apple? If you buy the license to use a piece of software can you take it and make your own or copy it and sell it as your own?

Comment

"the law change is not Monsanto's fault"... right

Comment

Please explain how the Patent Act law change passed thru Parliament and the Senate is Monsanto's fault then?

Comment

L
                  O
                  B
                  B
                  Y

come on tweety.

Comment

Actually it was the international patent law treaty.

Comment

So there was no business influence (LOBBYING!!!) when the international treaty was drafted?

Is this guy for real?

Comment

Countries were two ways, first to patent first to file. Now the same. Is this stuff just so simple that you're too dumb to understand it?

Comment

I may not understand it. And if you're so ****ing intelligent what are you doing here? Guys with your superior intelligence have better things to do than **** around on an internet forum. You ask for opinions then insult people who give them. Ride off into the sunset on your high horse.

Too bad there wasn't a middle finger up icon...

Comment

Perhaps. But i got my answer.

Comment

......and ConCanada felt the need to protect corporate interests through an International Treaty over it's citizen's interests. Why don't the seed companies set up shop in other countries of the world, signed on to UPOV91or not? Because this will be the place they can extract the most profits for their efforts. You won't find them in areas of the world where subsistence farming(or barely better than) is the main model.

Comment

It had nothing to do with the cons - the liberals were. It just made patents in multiple countries easier.

The patent cooperation treaty made patenting in multiple countries much more streamlined. This was an international effort.

It was no conspiracy by monsanto against the canadian farmer to change and align the entire world patenting process just to keep RR technology patented a few more years.

Or maybe i'm just pissed that my own little pocket of sask never got any rain. Maybe monsanto is keeping the rain away too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.