• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balers

We made the move from our long time use of soft core balers this year. Bought a New Idea 6365 round baler. The old baler was very forgiving on baling moisture. We could get away baling borderline hay, and it always dried down in the bale.

This machine is not like that. Yesterday, even though the hay had been down five days, we couldn't get a reading under 18 to 24% moisture, so we didn't bale. Then it rained. Of course.

What moisture level does everyone shoot for when baling? What can you get away with in hard core bales?

Any advice would be appreciated. We sure don't want to waste good hay.

I find it hard to get hay down to 15% The stuff we baled the other day read 18% and I expect it could come out dusty next winter.

Two things I want to do - 1) get a rotary rake that makes a fluffier windrow and 2) put a preservative applicator on the baler so we can bale that tougher hay without losing feed value.

It's been about impossible to get enough sunny, dry days here to make good, dust-free hay for the last few years. So we have wrapped a lot of hay and that guarantees the quality.

Comment

Under 20 percent we go

Comment

Especially if its got some grass in it

Comment

We run a hard core 535 John Deere and have mostly had hard core balers over the years. We shoot for 15% before baling. This year we may be lucky to hit 10% (LOL).
          We can bale up to 15.5 but after that spoilage is an issue. I know a few neighbours with the preservative kits. The enzyme kits are better than the salt based ones for bearing and baler life.

Comment

Kato, it's baling time, isn't it supposed to rain?

Comment

Yes I guess it is. We got an inch of rain last night. It's supposed to get pretty hot over the next couple of days, so we may get it done yet.

Comment

New Idea hard core here too Kato. Anything under 20 is good. Neighbour with 435 JD makes 3000 rounds a year and says anything 22 and under and he might be right.

Next door moron has a soft core now and is baling some very green weeds. What were you able to get away with the soft core?

Comment

Usually 18% is targeted. Depends on land. Low spots always the issue. You should be able to adjust core density as well. Tighter density lower moisture should be targeted.

Comment

We didn't bale really tough, but if it was around 18, and the moisture was from dew, not being just cut, the hay would open up into some pretty fancy feed come winter. It was more a matter of being confident that it would turn out nice than anything else with that baler. We very seldom made bad hay with it, and could be out in the field sometime a day before the neighbours were.

Hubby is really fussy about his hay, and I guess it's going to take some experience with this baler before he can relax.

Comment

I bale with a New Holland 688. If most of the probes are 18 or below I bale. I have sold lots of hay and have never had a complaint. Having the hay too dry has been a bigger problem for me.

Comment

Yesterday they were everywhere from 18 to 30, so we did not bale. They are calling for 32 degrees today, and 60% chance of showers every day from Saturday through next week, so today has to be the day to get it done. Something tells me this haying season is going to be a brute. We still have lots to cut, and the weather is very unpredictable.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.