• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay Rakes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Rakes

Any body use a hay rake on a regular basis other than turning swathes after a rain. Crop is quite a bit thinner this year, would speed up baling. Hay crop is usually a mixture of grass and 30-50% alfalfa so I imagine there would be some leaf loss. Lots of moles so baling speed is more limited by land roughness rather than baler capacity. Is there value in a rake or more often than not a waste of time and money?

I can answer you in a couple of weeks. We just bought a v rake, but only used it yesterday for three rows. Of course it rained last night.

Comment

We have a fourteen wheel v rake, it is like have another baler and a bit in the field!

Comment

We have a Massey 39 that has done thousands of acres. It is nice for turning and can put rows together. I think our per acre cost is now down around $0.0005 per acre as the rake was new in 1954 for about $500. I have been looking at a new to me V rake but wondered if it would save enough time to pay for itself. Also, big rows take longer to dry out...

Comment

The beauty of our rake, rake in morning, bale in afternoon. Have had more three hundred bale days when ready. If you rake to early with it you can have a wet rope in the middle and believe me that has happened when pushing panic button!

Comment

Still use a NH 256 and rake everything to cut down passes with baler. Next rake will be a used Vermeer hydraulic bar rake or maybe a new one if we ever get paid for our BSE suffering.

Comment

I was thinking it would sped baling. Cut one day wait a day or so just that the bottom is wet and then rake. Should be able to bale a day or to sooner.

Comment

That is our plan too. The old Deutz runs on diesel fumes, so we might save some fuel money too. Lol

Comment

15444 - I posted a question to you on Ranchers.

Comment

K Burnt. Don't check Ranchers very often, so I do need reminders at times

Comment

I checked. I haven't been on there much since they changed their format. Something up?

Comment

Just gave me an update on how the case is proceeding..and wondered if I wanted a job. Even though in Ontario, I'm pretty far off the beaten track and prefer to stay that way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...