• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haying

Anyone haying yet. I cut 60 acres (my best60) and its not pretty mabey just over 1 ton/ac. So lhat leaves 200 to go and some isnt worth the fuel but you know how cutting patches goes.
    Bly heading and only 10/.12 in high I used to figure i/3 more hight after heading so will be no straw to mention,looks like a bad one if you need feed to keep a heard together.
    Any guesses on how much a # in your areas? I am guessing a min of .07/# Lots of grasshoppers now!!

Lots trying here. Far too wet. Personally don't care when I start - so much carryover that 300 new bales would be lots of extra. Going to pasture a lot of the fields.

Any beef guy that is getting worked up about feed prices this fall, really needs to meditate and remember the alternative 10 years ago. Same solution now, but a happy face and full wallet to go with it.

Comment

We haven't started either. Equipment is all tuned up and ready, but the weather keeps calling for showers. There won't be as much hay as last year, so we aren't worried about too much delay. At least it's still growing.

Comment

15444 dont know which prov or area you are in but I dont think anyone in alta is in your position. And the fields are black in the evening with grasshoppers on the stems. Had 1 tenth last night and smoke so thick cant see if cloudy or there is a sun up there.
        Kato you are in Manatoba? right.

Comment

Yup. Manitoba. We've been getting some rains, but it's really hit and miss. Last week we talked to a guy who had one just barely settle the dust, while five miles away they got over three inches in a very short time. It's been hard to believe the weather predictions. They are always wrong. Lol. We saw some baled hay yesterday, but that was the first we have seen. We should be starting in a couple of days.

Comment

We have about six hundred acres of tame hay, some we graze in fall, but not hard and some we don't. First field that wasn't grazed went three and a half bales. Next one is first year and Timothy legume mix will go one and a bit. Here we rely on snow to bring it through. Frost was the big issue!

Comment

Frost set back the alfalfa around here. So far the grass looks to be OK.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...