• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Grain Commission Changes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Grain Commission Changes

Here is part of the text from a Grain Commission release. This is important.

"CANADIAN GRAIN COMMISSION BEGINS CONSULTATIONS ON PROPOSED VARIETY ELIGIBILITY DECLARATION SYSTEM

WINNIPEG, January 20, 2003 - The Canadian Grain Commission (CGC) invites grain producers and all sectors of the Canadian grain industry to provide input between now and March 31, 2003 on a proposal to modify Canada's grain handling and quality assurance system.

Currently, classes and types of grain are kept separate in the handling system through visual identification. Because an increasing number of grains are visually indistinguishable, the CGC proposes using variety eligibility declarations to segregate grain.

"Variety eligibility declaration would support the quality assurance system, give producers more choice in what they grow and sell, and offer more choices to customers," says Terry Harasym, CGC assistant chief commissioner. "Over the next two months, we intend to explore this concept with producers and other stakeholders."

The CGC will host focus group sessions across the Prairies, meetings with producer and industry organizations, and a discussion forum on its web site. A discussion paper on the use of variety eligibility declarations is available on the CGC's web site at www.grainscanada.gc.ca and through its information line at 1-800-853-6705.

A CGC advisory committee made up of producers, industry and federal government representatives recommended the use of variety eligibility declarations in 2001. This consultation process builds on the CGC commitment to meaningful dialogue with producers and the industry on this issue."

Paul Graham
    (204) 983-2749, (204) 227-9711
    pgraham@grainscanada.gc.ca
    Visit the CGC Internet web site at www.grainscanada.gc.ca

Melvill;

I cannot see how I can swear a statement, that I have grown a specific variety of grain, unless it is actually Pedigreed Certified Seed of the variety, with the checks and safegaurds built into the Pedigreed seed system to insure that varietial purity is maintained!

We are already required to swear a statement (on our CWB permit book applications)of whether or not we have unlicensed varieties being produced on our farms, what more can the CGC expect?

If we would simply grade by quality atributes (like the US does) rather than by variety, we would be making a major improvement to our assurance of Canadian quality to our international customers!

If I grow Winter Wheat or Spring Wheat, if the quality of both for milling purposes is the same, why shouldn't I get the same return for both?

Comment

tom4cwb
      I can't answer all the questions that you asked. All I know is that foreign, non-registered, visually indistinguishable wheat varieties contaminating elevators and/or cargoes continues to be a problem.

I remember one instance in Saskatchewan in the late 70s or early 80s where there was so much contamination that all the wheat already delivered to two neighboring elevators and all the on-farm grain in the surrounding area was downgraded to Canada Feed. I remember a similar thing happening, although on a smaller scale, in the east central Alberta in the early 80s when I was a D.A. there.

It continues to be a big problem with significant risk for grain companies and millers.

My guess is that until the (very expensive) technology is readily available to allow evaluating each load of producer-delivered grain before unload, the Commission is hoping that a declaration will reduce the incidences. Of course, it won't eliminate it altogether 'cause there are always people who aren't concerned with such things.

Remember, that this is just a proposal. The Commission is encouraging feedback between now and the end of March. Go to the web-site at www.grainscanada.gc.ca and click on Variety Eligibility Declarations. There's more background and an opportunity for input there.

Comment

Lee;

Isn't it interesting that only the CWB is having a problem!

And the CWB has a sworn statement to whether or not unlicensed varieties are present on every farm that ships grain to them...

The biggest question is yet to come...

So what... if a unlicensed variety is included in a shipment...

IF this wheat is of the milling quality the customer has requested...

WHO CARES what genetic material is involved?

Certainly not the customer, they are getting the milling wheat quality they requested!

The only people who care about the genetic issue are a bunch of academic vegetation at CWB and CGC, bureaucratic dinosaurs, who feel the need to suck the life blood out of western Canada!

Well, maybe the seed trade and Seed Co's are in on the ride, but only because the CWB and CGC are forcing the issue.

Too bad these gov. people wouldn’t concentrate on doing something constructive for once in there careers,... something that would create a profit for my farm, instead of chaining me in red tape whenever they get a chance!

Is this clear enough Lee?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...