• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you think...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what do you think...

http://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/daily/tmx-turning-to-cattle-sales

I'm not sure what to think about this one.

Reuters — TMX Group, operator of Canada’s TSX stock exchange, hopes to rope a piece of the $90 billion North America cattle sector, and said Tuesday it would offer the continent’s first online sales platform of its kind.

The expansion into a new business comes weeks after the TMX completed a six-month operations review, which analysts read as focusing on streamlining its business.

TMX touts its new AgriClear platform as a better way to facilitate the exchange of cattle, in which prospective U.S. or Canadian buyers and sellers could use a mobile phone to view video of live product, enter negotiations, transact and arrange delivery.

Cattle sales are currently handled through auctions or directly between buyers and sellers.

TMX CEO Lou Eccleston, who plans to push further into commodity sales, said the service could cut 30 per cent off cattle trading costs.

“Cattle is for us simply the first foray into what we think is a pretty long list of opportunities,” he said in a phone interview.

TMX said AgriClear is currently signing up ranchers and feedlots as members, as the U.S. herd rebuilds from years of drought.

AgriClear could cut costs and remove some risk in dealing with an unknown buyer, said Brian Perillat, manager of CanFax, the market research division of the Canadian Cattlemen’s Association.

But it may take time for some to get used to a new way of marketing, he said. “Many producers are set in traditional ways, or already have marketing channels.”

Other platforms, mainly auctions, exist for electronic sales of cattle between ranchers, feedlots, and those who buy cattle for grazing programs, said Jim Robb, director of Colorado-based Livestock Marketing Information Center.

With most of the U.S. cow herd in the hands of smaller producers, the number of cattle that can be bought and sold per transaction is limited, he said.

“I think people are often overly optimistic about how much volume will actually go through these things based on past track records,” Robb said.

Eccleston said AgriClear is focused on physical cattle sales and would not compete with CME Group’s live cattle contracts, which trade for future delivery.

It will charge $6 per head of cattle to the buyer and seller in each transaction.

AgriClear was developed over 14 months, running alongside a strategic review that Eccleston launched soon after he was hired late last year.

— Reporting for Reuters by Alastair Sharp in Toronto and Rod Nickel in Winnipeg; additional reporting for Reuters by Theopolis Waters in Chicago.

Already a non-issue. A fee of $6 per head for the buyer? Order buyers work cheaper than that and you actually know what you are getting.

Comment

Don't think there will be a lot of enthusiasm for it from cattle producers.

Comment

Just another parasite to live off the cattle producer. Can't be much worse than some of auction barns in Alberta who cheat and chisel and do well.
        ====

Comment

Sounds like Kijiji

Comment

Kijiji is free. I don't think there is a lack of liquidity in the beef industry. I would think they would have a better possibility tying grain marketers to end users in a market with a few large buyers.

Comment

I think someone just noticed cattle are worth something again, and they want to get a piece of the pie. Wouldn't be surprised if this is just the beginning. There will be more to follow.

Comment

Good question Kato. I've always thought that the auctions and electronic markets provide their services for a very reasonable fee. There is a reason that Richie Bros don't own cattle markets. The commissions are too thin. I can't imagine the TSX wanting to be the low cost marketer for very long.

Comment

Kato - I agree with that 100%. There is a lot of marketing push at the beef sector right now. There are a lot of folks that are taking that push, beyond just replacing infrastructure that was degraded from a decade of low prices.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...