• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hay Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hay Prices

Where will hay prices be this winter? Even with recent rain hay pretty poor, alfalfa may make average.
    Greenfeed and straw may have quite a bit of value this winter. Rain may allow people to keep cows a bit longer. Came back from Red Deer last week. Some pretty poor pastures out there.

A lot will depend on bly prices. People around here wouldnt pay more than 3.5cents for hay last yr as 7 cent bly and straw set the price. Some smaller producers will have to pay as bly dosnt fit. There is talk of6/7 cent but as near as I know there hasnt been any made yet

Comment

As always, the law of supply and demand will set the price. The demand is pretty well fixed. The supply outlook is presently very poor. Horse is right that grain can substitute for hay to a degree. However if the supply outlook for roughage doesn't improve it is hard to imagine how the feed market will play out.

Incedentally I'm in Vancouver for a few days and it is extremely dry here. Has been all spring. Guess I hadn't realized that our rain in Alberta was connected to moisture on the coast.

Comment

Switzer auction in south Sask. yesterday had 1 year old hay being sold for $250/tonne to just over $300/tonne!! Incredible.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...