• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade your job for an urban job?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you trade your job for an urban job?

I would like to hear how you all feel about being farmers or ranchers. What is it you like best about farming? Would you trade what you have and move into the city for another job? If you could make more money, would you trade your rural life for a factory job? What would you miss most about rural life? What would you not miss about rural life?

I have a degree in computer science and math. When I graduated, I turned down job offers in the US that included a starting salary of $60,000 (US) and company car to come home and start up with dad. I don't miss it

Comment

After dabling in a government job, My youthful enthusiasm directed me back to the farm and began to farm with a little help from dad. Ten years later, I have lost some of that enthusiasm, and still work off farm far too much for my taste. I personally feel the farms suffers by not having myself give it the attention it deserves. Being in two places at once is something I have never mastered. There now comes the blunt realisation that since I am working anyway... May aswell have steady hours and weekends off. I have alot of family that works the factories of southwestern Ontario, so I feel I have a good idea of what it is like. Personally, farming and ranching is about the easiest job I have ever had. To me it is not work even at its worst. Testament to how much I love it I suppose. But unfortunately, I don't want an occupation or life style where I don't make much money.( and since you need it...) I knew farming wasn't oilfield big bucks, but for a young guy buying land and equipment...its getting stupid. I personally no longer want to work off farm to support a farm that produces cheap food for a country that really doesn't care. Working 18 hour days lead me to that conclusion . Would I sacrifice the greatest lifestyle in the world so I can raise a family and do things with them on the weekends by making head rests in a plant, yes. Would it tear my heart out to leave. yes.

I just can't make sense sometimes out of the debates of a country that doesn't want ILO's or GM this and that, yet doesn't show much promise for up and comers who don't have the silver spoon in the mouth syndrome ( no offense).

Now don't read beyond the lines, I am still riding it out, but, when the time comes, my family won't be paying anymore for agriculture. We will be living in the factory belt voting liberal. Now aside from all that, it snowed last night, yehaa. Have a great day.

Comment

I too chose to farm and have never regreted it.
        Could have made more money perhaps but would I still be happily married with great kids?
        I love what I do and would hate to have an urban job.
        I do know I am very lucky!!!

Comment

I have been farming/ranching for over 20 years. This past two years of near drought has left me tired and frustrated with farming.

I am now back to work off farm. Over the last 20 years I have needed to work many times in order to make ends meet. It has now come to the time when I am tired of working off farm all day and trying to farm weekends or night. This past year saw us downsize our livestock operation and rent out the land.

I now have more time to relax and am enjoying my free time with family and friends much more. Sure I miss the freedom of coming and going as I please but I also now enjoy not having to worry as much about croping, feed, etc.

Will I go back full time farming some day when things turn around? I'm not sure, I have found my moods are much easier, I feel more relaxed and I am enjoying going to work in the morning. Ask me again in a few months!!!!

Comment

I have spent 40 years in ranching and some farming. I have never regeted a moment of that time spent in a rural livestyle. I have always found the time to spend with family, the community and doing things that I enjoy. Maybe not always the amount of time that I would have liked but always some time. I do think that many people expect to have the money and time that their urban workers have but it will not come until we are retired or near retirement. All the payments toward paying off our land and equipment plus rising land prices will leave most farmers with more capital in the end than their urban friends. Just remember that to have the good rural livestyle we must not expect the same cash in the pocket, paid holidays and all weekends off.

Comment

I worked 15 years off farm at a full time job & farmed. In that time I got married, wife working it was great! Then reality came in kid #1. Wife went to half time me still two occupations. Then child #2 wife working full time at home since I was still working two full time jobs. We moved from the city to be closer to the farm & so the kids could go to a rural school. Then finally, when it wasn't fun anymore I quit my off farm job.
              I guess what I finally decided is did I want to work for someone else for the rest off my life or try being my own boss? Well you know so far so good I really do have time for family now in fact wife is going back to school to get a higher education because she can now.
              I have often wondered if we would just compare farming to running your in bussiness instead of isolating it & calling it "farming the mother of all occupations" Farming is a lifestyle all unto its own but so is running a bussiness. I drove by a bussiness owner every shift I worked (12 hours) and you know he was there on weekends nights the whole thing & yet you never heard him complain about the hours.
              Are we just seeing massive burn out on the farm?
              Working for yourself takes a great amount of self dicipline I was use to the structured life since I always had to work around my off farm schedule not the farm. Weird.
              Anyways to answer your question no. I really do hope the replies keep coming because I really do believe life is what you make it.
              By the way I was sure glad I didn't wait 65 years for that "handshake" & "thanks for your time"

Comment

Not a chance, money isn't quite everything yet, anyway. I still get a big charge out of planting a crop and watching it grow. It is a challenge to grow the best crop you can afford to produce. You can't beat the smell and feel of freshly worked soil. That is something that money can't buy. Not too many urban workers get the chance to watch and help cows calve in the spring. It is awesome!!!! in my books. The only down side is this money thing. I am going to cure that someday when I win big on the lottery, I hope. HAHAHA not much chance. As mad as I get a governments I still cherish my way of life.

Comment

Not a chance. 4 and a half years ago my husband and I moved to Sask to farm with his father and uncle. Within two years they were both dead along with my husband leaving me with a run down farm. I probably should have sold it and moved to town but I love being on the farm. I have cattle and grain. It has been a constant learning experience. Everyday there is something different to do and always a new challenge. How many jobs offer that? The cattle were all that kept me sane after my husband passed away. No time for greiving with cows calving. The fresh air and wholesome living is great. Some jobs are probably more than I should do but they haven't killed me yet and I definitely go to sleep at night feeling like I've accomplished alot. The lousy rap that farmers get from the media is annoying and the government never gives us a fair break but that would happen no matter what we choose to do.

Comment

I'm glad you all like your rural lifestyle. I do too. I don't think farmers get a bad rap in the press. I think a lot of farmers are envied. Especially the smaller family farms that grow food for local markets. Consumers I know love to hob nob with farmers at the Farmer's Market. Our local paper is always praising farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...