• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Hours

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 Hours

12 hours of below freezing Sunday night. A lot of canola has just emerged. 12 hours of below freezing with wind not good. Usually there is only a few hours below freezing and no wind. There is probably some early bean emergence too.

There's gonna be a lot of reseeding across the prairies after this is all said and done.That hurts, if seeding once isn't enough.

Comment

I have a question on reseeding. If you farm in the Palliser triangle and have canola that's gone or just about gone do you leave or reseed to canola or reseed to something else because now you will be flowering in the later part of June and first two weeks of July so yield loss is going to happen.
      Seeding a pulse now on the fertilized ground has other issues. Seeding what is the question?

Comment

If Canola is acclimatized for cold... it can take frost. We grew fall seeded (sprouted in the early spring) Canola for 3 years... only drought killed it. Never over till it is over. Lack of warm weather many frosty mornings make Canola tough!

Comment

Yes Tom that may be so - but 12 hrs of dry freeze is far far diff than a few hrs when there is ample moisture - it's not bullit proof

Comment

I agree with furrow tom. if it froze for that long the canola beans for sure and corn some barley are basically shit. It wont be the whole field but areas will be totally gone. Not good but its Canada seeding canola in April Usually isn't a good thing.

Comment

Also zero rain in forecast for areas hardest hit with dry frost - and soil profile drying up in some areas - giving very little chance for recovery for some

Comment

Canola has been emerging in almost 20 C and has not hardened off. Earlier canola may fare better as temp were cooler a week ago.

Comment

Even better -5 Tues morning. My guess is 50% of canola is up.

Comment

Hopefully, Agstar, it won't come to pass. But we're already at 0C at 9:50am EDT.

Just checked our first seeded canola and it's just emerging. It's froze or been at zero every morning but one since seeding. I know canola hardens in cold temps but we'll see if it will take what's ahead.

MB Crop Insurance has drastically cut reseeding benefits. We have Bayer seed and I think they do a 50% rebate on reseeding which will help.

Now where's that rum. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Comment

Update environment Canada says -6 Tues morning. Almost all of the seeded canola is up and some of the beans.

Comment

I don't think we're going to make it past this one unscathed. Went to put the sprayer in the shed and drain pumps on the water trailer, "ice" on the north side of the chem handler. We do have some canola just poking out of the ground. If the growing point survives we'll be ok but I'm not holding my breath(because I like seeing my breath on these cold mid month days)

Comment

Braveheart, does that 50% rebate cover this sort of thing(frost, or in other cases flea beetles or what have you) or just issues of establishment that is some how attributed to the seed itself?

Comment

Farmaholic, I'm not sure yet. I hope all perils. I think all perils. I'll find out Tues morning. Likely find out a lot of things Tuesday morning.

Comment

Just wondering.

If guys are prepared to lose half a crop to frost and it still makes it. Why not seed later with half rate?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...