• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling pairs?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling pairs?

Anyone selling pairs out there? not looking to buy any just noticing the levels they are trading at. One auction central AB sold commercial pairs to $5000 to average $4400 this week!
    Who would ever have predicted that a few years back. Are they dear or cheap at these prices given $2000 calves, $2-3000 bred cows and $2000 culls?

Just did some math on our herd. I think I need to sit down for a minute. Who'da thought it? It's kind of hard to wrap your head around numbers like that. Too bad it took so much destruction to get here.

Comment

I saw that on Monday too GF.
      It is very tempting to have a blowout sale, but I am not sure the replacements are going to be that cheap for a couple of years yet.
      I am hoping replacements stay healthy for a year or two, so my sexed semen project this summer can hit a nice market...

Comment

Makes for interesting dilemmas. I bought a few bred cows in December that I thought were undervalued on the market. Paid $2200 for coming 3rd calvers. All calved out successfully rearing thumping good calves. Just not really my type of cow - too much leg, too little gut. High headed when you need to handle or work the herd. Perfect feet and udders though and would be easy to sell.
        Could probably clear $2000 a head profit selling them now, having owned them 5 months - any other time in my career that would be a 5 second decision.
        I want to keep my numbers up though and if you sell them you couldn't replace them any cheaper. Am leaning towards keeping them but I guess either option is a good one.

Comment

Great prices if your are selling! Don't know how one can be profitable buying at those prices???

Comment

Westlock $3600 pairs I hear but didnt see them so just hear say.

Comment

Comtex, don't know if the profitability is any better or worse than when bred cows were $700. If you are buying high and selling high or buying low and selling low i'd think it's about a wash.
              Starting out now buying a herd would be tough sledding but having a herd and keeping your own replacements is looking pretty good.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...