• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richardson targets U.S. acquisitions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richardson targets U.S. acquisitions

The family is looking to spend their hard earned basis profits:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0NZ20W20150514?irpc=932

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - Richardson International, one of Canada's largest grain handlers, is seeking expansion in the United States through acquisitions worth C$100 million to as much as C$2 billion ($1.67 billion), its chief executive said on Thursday.Richardson, which now owns two U.S. mills, is interested in Andersons Inc and private companies Bartlett and Scoular, as well as co-operatives, Chief Executive Curt Vossen said in an interview at the company's Winnipeg head office.Andersons' shares on Nasdaq spiked as much as 13 percent shortly after Vossen's comments were published, touching a three-month high, before finishing up 7.5 percent at $45.09.Vossen said Richardson has had no discussions with those companies and that it was unclear if they are willing to sell.Richardson is also looking to expand to Latin America, Australia and Eastern Europe, where more crop is produced than can be consumed domestically.But the United States "is the logical growth direction," Vossen said. "We don't have to be the largest, but we have to be meaningful."There's no point in acquiring small businesses if they don't move the EBITDA needle for the organization in an effective way."Vossen said if Andersons, long considered by analysts as a takeover target for its grain storage and rail cars, Bartlett or Scoular are willing to sell, Richardson would have to outbid North American and Asian competitors.Andersons spokeswoman Debbie Crow said the company does not comment on speculation. Bartlett and Scoular spokespersons could not be reached immediately.Andersons, which has a $1.2 billion market cap, has an attractive size, but also significant family ownership that could complicate a transaction, Vossen said.Richardson is interested in U.S. assets in grain-handling, processing and crop inputs, mainly in wheat-growing areas, he said.The company may build U.S. assets once it acquires a critical mass, he added.Legumex Walker Inc has said it is open to a sale. Vossen said he is not interested in Legumex's Washington-state canola-crushing plant and is undecided about its special crop assets.Richardson, the largest division of James Richardson & Sons Ltd, has a share of Western Canada grain-handling capacity similar to that of Glencore Plc's Viterra Inc.Richardson is currently trying to close one acquisition in Western Canada and one in Eastern Canada, Vossen said, declining to give details.Richardson's last big deal was its C$900 million purchase of certain Viterra assets when Glencore bought the Canadian company in 2012.(Reporting by Rod Nickel in Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yay for the US farmer. I hope Richardson gets fed their lunch. I find they are a difficult company to deal with.

Comment

Lol - I was thinking the same thing..
      But it is crazy how many farmers are locked in to throwing money at them with inputs - or have no choice I guess....
      Yup the only way to go, big .... lol lol
      Giver boys - giver on that great solid agronomic advice, giver - How's that $2.75 barley doin when that rest of the market was at $4. Or the HRSW at $4.75 when the rest was at $6.50 - I absolutely don't get it, Cargil was no diff. - giver, farm more, credit more, balls to the walls .....
      One local village idiot actually put a sign on his truck -"farm big or go home" lol lol . Yup 100% JRI guy . It's mind blowing the shit crops they grow.
      Sorry for the rant but it is astounding the "reason why they "have to" deal there" lmao.. and then bitch about it lol lol
      Each to their own I guess .

Comment

that is the same as the RRs .
        take the cream from the prairie hicks and invest it elsewhere

Comment

Tom will be on here soon defending the poor line cos and there poor profit margin - me thinks that Tom has his fingers in something on the side .

Comment

Maybe him Jesus and god have a seat on the board somewhere - just a guess ...

Comment

Or they made a deal to supply a line co with UPOV seed for the next 30 yrs at a chicken quota price - I know crazy talk stuff ...... Just a crazy thought . My tin hat on

Comment

Nice to see you are thinking of me!

I note CP Hunter was trying to soften up Premier Notley yesterday telling her CP would pay higher Corporate taxes... being a responsible corporate citizen with tough times etc. etc...

Looks like CNCP just might be worried about CTA changes being formulated... and obviously being sweet on Notley, being that he didn't have her in his grab bag of influence peddlers like soon to be EXPremier Ex CP Director Prentice.

Arrogance... telling Notley CP Rail would pay their taxes... if she increased them... as if he had a choice and PremierNotley needed CP Rail's (Hunters) Permission!

It doesn't get much better than that... CP Railer Hunter doesn't miss a trick!

Comment

Good, we will second that and raise, here in Saskatchewan. It's awesome for mr hunter to approve this, I'm sure the social conscious is hurting. . . Any way.

Comment

So guys, I find richardson good to deal with both with inputs and grain deliveries. Only company that I feel has treated me the fairest over the years. And I'm not a huge farm. And I'm pretty sure they don't put a gun to our head and make us pump up our crops.

Comment

I would second Daylate's comments. We have a good relationship with Richardsons. I must admit though their prices aren't always the best cash bids within our reach. We have come to prefer taking canola straight to the crusher. Savings on dockage can more than pay the freight.

Time will tell if owning more milling assets in the US will open more movement for prairie grains.

Comment

Hunter telling the NDP that they will pay their higher taxes was comical and proves Hunter to be a buffoon. Now the NDP will have to raise corporate taxes because apparently corporate AB is just lining up to pay them. Fools and their money...

Comment

Our local Richardson has awesome people as well , but there hands are tied with upper management treating it like walmart - where grains and oilseeds are lowest price is the law and where big is better at times

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...