• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed Treatments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed Treatments

The Ontario government has proposed legislation which will make the use of neonicotinoid seed treatments very difficult.
    In western canada neonicotinoids are used on most of our canola seed. The prevailing wisdom is that canola has a very low seeding rate and only accounts for 30 to 40% of our seeded acres and we won't be subjected to the same ban.
    New seed treatments such as cruiser maxx vibrance and raxil pro shield both for cereal grains contain neonicotinoids. Just wondering if it is possible that this could put us at risk as well for the same legislation.

I don't know I'm starting to question seed treatments more and more!
    All winter seed labs yapping to get seed tested and we all followed along! Then told have to add seed treatments to help and we all followed song!
    Nice song sheet!
    But in early April I put hrs from a bag the seed lab said don't use then put a seed treatment on the seed and put in mid April in our cold eastern ground funny when it finally came up the stuff without was early by a day and is now thicker!
    They got me again!
    F$&k I hate when their right!
    NOT!

Comment

The Issue is that a farmer has $200-$350.00/ acre planned to spend on the crop, so they want to protect that investment right from the beginning. With absurd canola rotations for cash flow, the risk of disease grows exponentially. Risk management has a price. The industry knows you better than you know yourself.

Comment

Canola is not the only crop with diseases.

Comment

Neonicotinoids are an insecticide and not a fungicide, not targeted at cereal diseases.

Comment

Pretty sure this thread is about legislation, not whether you think they are worth it.

Comment

Electing the NDP? Anything goes.

It's pretty clear in Ontario that our Environment minister and premiers office are colluding with the Sierra Club on this and it will just be the first target. The environment minister has already been caught talking about an eventual goal of forcing the province to go 100% organic. Lots of farmers stocking up on guns and ammo, it seems like the only way to save rural Ontario will be to separate from Toronto.

Comment

What usta scare me doesnt anymore. Someday our food will come from anywhere else but here. What can be done.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...