• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minus 5 in Brooks this A.M. ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minus 5 in Brooks this A.M. ?

That was prob not very good .

So everything is always rosy in Alberta all the early seeding is in excellent shape! Ah alberta!

Comment

It was -3 to -5 everywhere south of highway 1 right to US border

Comment

Was there any canola out of the ground yet in that area?

Comment

Lots of canola out. There was canola seeded in the middle of April around here. Don't think -3 or -4 will cause any canola to be reseeded. 100% humidity and most would be harden off

Comment

Must be different frost their since all volunteers were brown yesterday in field.

Comment

Well vvalk for their sake I hope not but I can assure you that if it was minus 3 or 4 then it froze for a long period of time. If that happens to me which it has my, fields look like they were sprayed with LV700 in 3-5 days. I guess that only happens to me.

Comment

Spring frost here always seemed worst where the trash is heavy. Insulated the plant from any ground warmth. I'd check those spots or fields first, if looking for damage.

Comment

we have had lots of canola froze black over the years . as long as there is a green shoot coming out of growing point in the center after a few days it will come back , and it is always earlier than the reseeded fields . the fields I watched were always better left then reseeded . the "experts " around here always reseed , and tell they are right . we never have reseeded spring frozen canola . it is usually later than this , though .

Comment

Not saying there won't be reseeding.every freeze is different. Have you at 0 and -1 temps before to harden the canola off. What stage is the canola at. Was it warm and dry the day before it froze then warms back up again makes it much worse. Was it really humid out which insulates the plant and makes the air harder to freeze etc etc. also I would live with 3 to 4 spread out plants per sq meter before I would reseed

Comment

Ya reseeding rarely pays but it is nesesary sometimes .
                      Low seeding rates or thin stands in heavy cereal stubble can be a wreck if hit by heavy frost.
                      Weed control on a thin, weak frozen stand can be almost impossible . We left part of a field 5 years ago - yeild was about the same but we are still dealing with weed issues on the stuff we left.

Comment

the worst we ever had was one year it froze , regrew and froze again . crop insurance did a count , said it was below coverage levels because of low plant count . they said they would insure it if we wanted to leave it . we did and it yielded a hair over 50 , reseeded stuff yielded in mid thirties . the "experts" all agreed they were much better off reseeding ! we just quietly agreed with them . it costs a lot of money to reseed and it is painful to watch for regrowth , every frost takes some plants , heavy straw is brutal for fost damage and weed control becomes even more important in a lighter stand . anyone who says canola doesn't regrow has never allowed it to have a chance to try ! we have even had moderately damaged cutworm damage regrow and produce seed. we in the northeast have lots of experience with frozen spring canola , lol

Comment

You are right if the growing point is green it will make it or thin a bit! Reseeding only once worked and that was with a disc drill no till.

Comment

1980 had a very hot spell, even sprayed for flea beetles late May. THEN June 5 most went to hell with a hard frost, all on SMF! Reseeded 75% with Polish canola, all turned out fine. Fields were a puzzle to swath where Argentine survived.

Comment

fj, I wonder if these new varieties maybe handle a spring frost better ? not. sure? also , like you said hot before a frost is way worse than this cold shit we have had this spring

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...