• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

growing and selling hulless barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

growing and selling hulless barley

i have been growing hulless varieties for a few years and am growing less and less fond of the stuff. each year i seem to get decent yeilds but no one want,s to pay what its worth , or they dont know what it is or the advantages of using it. am I doing something wrong or is this stuff loosing its appeal. any help would be great!!!

hulless is a product without a broad customer group. The value of the crop is not valued by most hog feeders; the natural customers. We have given up trying to extract value from this crop, to make up for the agronomy shortfalls. Until the buyers are willing to pay for the extra costs, CPS wheats are a far better cash crop, with fewer agronomy problems. Varieties will change depending on where you're farming.

Comment

As a farmer who has both grown and fed hulless barley (to hogs), I am in love with the stuff! However,I realize that you growers do not receive the 15-20% more $ for it that you should for a good quality sample. It seems to me that this has happened for two reasons. One is the name 'barley'...the perception is that this product is barley and thats what sets the price. The other is that no large grain company ever had success with it (UGG had 2 poor varieties) and so there never was any huge advertising campaign putting it in front of everyone. The sellers of the grain have done a wonderful job of providing research, field days, user references...they just ran into a hog industry which (although normally a tremendously innovative group) just missed the boat on this one and they did not have the massive advertising budget necessary. I think that you may need to have a personal contract with a feeder (who does believe in the grain itself) and market it that way-the grain industry isn't doing that. Don Gregorwich

Comment

DON if you have a need for some hulless drop me a note ( shaller@telusplanet.net

Comment

Nope, I don't need any hulless. I sold all my hogs on July 1/98 and am too scared of the pig industry to get back into it -yet...I'm not sure that my 100 sow farrow to finish operation is off the endangered list in a new pig industry. However, I will note your address and pass it along to any hog people I know.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.