• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safflower, anyone?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safflower, anyone?

I was thinking about growing Safflower. One person tells me it was grown more twenty years ago, and not worth much, the next says it is a good cash crop. I just know I wouldn't want to plug the combine with it! Has anyone got any stories, any growers in particuliar?

Safflower has been grown in Alberta. As with most special crops, finding markets are always a challenge. It is quite a spiny crop (thistle like) but has beautiful yellow flowers - dried flower industry likes them. The seed is produced for the oil. It needs good heat units and long growing season There is a Safflower Manual - check with the Alberta Safflower Growers Association for more information at Box 822, Lethbridge, AB T1J 3Z8 ph 403-381-5124

Comment

We grew safflower several years ago. As I recall, it was easy to grow, but the long taproot sucks up a lot of moisture. It's a good competitor, but really prickly, and itchy too. You'll need a contract. New varieties will probably perform better. Henning Mundel @ Lethbridge Research Stn. could probably give you more info.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.