• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardisty Megafarm Challenge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardisty Megafarm Challenge

I understand that the group around Hardisty has won a major court challenge against the Taiwanese backed hog operation.
    Does anyone have any information about this?

I am not sure about the results of the challenge, but when towns like Hardisty lose the school, hospital, post office and downtown cores are boarded up ...because there are no kids, why no kids because there are no jobs and there is no tax base ...

I hope they celebrate their victory!

Comment

The County of Flagstaff Family Farm Promotional Society news release said that the justices said, "... I allow the appeal, reverse the decision of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board of Flagstaff County and direct the DA to issue to Love and Alderdice (spokespersons for CFFFPS) the permits to which they are entitled for the construction of the requested single family residential dwellings."

In the second appeal, the Justices state: "We have concluded that in these circumstances it is appropreate to cancel the IAO permit and refer the matter back to the SDAB for reconsideration in light of the decision in the residential appeals and on the basis of such further arguments and requests as may be made by the parties."

The news release concludes: Flagstaff Family Farm Promotinal Society is glad to finally have the decisions of the Courts. We hope that Taiwan Sugar Corporation will uphold their promise that if the courts turn them down, they will leave.

Unfortunately, I heard that the Taiwan Sugar Company is going to appeal the decision.

Comment

Thanks Deb...Glad to see you on line once in awhile. Hope your book is coming along okay.

Best to you.

Comment

Please, send them to my hometown!

Comment

Which is where?

Comment

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but wonder if such a stink (pardon the pun) would be made if this project was proposed by "one of us". I have heard comments in this dispute such as "send them back where they came from". ...very sad. Anyway enjoy the victory, and keep smiling when you're not allowed to carry on with your hog barn, feedlot, etc. on your own land because somebody somewhere objects to it! The thing about passing restrictive legislation is that it must be applied equally, and sooner or later it will return to bite the hand of it's engineers. ...just my humble opinion. Merry Christmas, all :-)

Comment

several very good points, flatbroke

Comment

Flatbroke is right. There is another mega hog operation being built in the same area by an Alberta based operation and it is not be protested. I find that people being selective about protests stinks of racism and short sitedness.

The Taiwan Sugar Corporation would buy Canadian feed stocks, Canadian building materials, pay Canadian, Alberta and Municipal taxes and provide Canadian jobs for people that want to work in that area. The other factor is that they would be under a microscope for management of odours and other problems.

If you can't build a hog barn there or in the County of Forty Mile, basically you can't build one anywhere. Secondly, I agree with Flatbroke, sooner or later your own small livestock operations will come under these stringent requirements to continue operation, are you ready?

Comment

I have a really hard time undrstanding why everybody in the world has an opinion on what is good for you & your community even though that are not even from the area.
                    These Mega operations should just stick to one rule GET ALONG WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS.How can someone living in an another country/area have an idea what the communties values are? Food for thought for all.

Comment

danm

As someone that has worked in many small communities throughout Alberta I understand what you are saying very well danm.

Keep in mind however, that as you say this we all have a common bond in that the things that happen in one area do get transferred into another area and as this forum has clearly pointed out, sooner or later we will all be painted with the same brush.

Today we have technology that allows environmental controls that can look after any of the problems that have been put on the table. In fact with many of the solutions to the environmental challenges the community benefits in many other ways. If a rural community can not keep the young families there or attract young families it does not take a calculator to figure the out come.

Rural development initiatives can be blended into a community by those with a will to do so, but for a community to say they are open for business and then make things so tough on a company to make it happen is just plain bad business.

If a small community does not want these big companies to come into town then turn around and tell the company before they waste valued man hours and dollars and then explain their choice to the business in their community that are already having a tough time keeping the community residents as their customers, since many of the residents would rather go into more major centers and save a nickel on a product then support the business in their own town.

Now is a good time to look at what you want in your community and if you have buildings on your main street boarded up then make your choice! Is this the way you want it?

Hopefully we get some good comments on what you in the rural communities would like to see happen in your towns?

Comment

Thanks for the comments valuechainx.
                        Our community did go through one of the expansions about 5 years ago & it was really sad to see neighbors spar in the public forum. We were lucky we had a council that "listened & learnt" on both sides,as it turned out the barn went over 500 feet to the other municipality.
                        During the debate it was very interesting to see that most people didn't have a problem with the barn as long as it was controlled & run by locals. I think were alot of these barns run into trouble is they lose that community face so they treated like a faceless cooperation. You know like Enron.
                        Maybe people are just a little tired of getting beat up by the big faceless corps?
                        Anyway looking forward to anyone elses thoughts.

Comment

danm how right you are, the community needs to be involved for sure and guidelines in place. I guess that is why the balance is needed and growth is controlled with REAL rural development.

To me that means working in the communities, with the communities and with a long term Vison not just a place to put up another big manufacturing box!

As we move forward it is important for all of us to know the fights to fight and the initiatives to work for!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.