• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gun registry out of control

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gun registry out of control

The following message may be a bit long, but I fired it off to both government and opposition MPs today. It won't change the course of events, but at least they'll know this kind of BS won't go down easy.

This gun registration fiasco is just unbelievable….And I don’t care who was or is the minister in charge, the dirt of this deal sticks to every member of the Liberal government.

And I’m not a hardline conservative, or alliance, or other party member. I used to be Liberal member at one time….But, come on….how the Prime Minister, how Allan Rock, how Anne McLellan, how the current justice minister, how any government member can attempt to justify this kind of misuse of money and overspending is beyond belief….How stupid do you think taxpayers are?

As a gun owner I have never seen the logic of how this registration process was suppose to effectively curb violence. As CBC’s Rex Murphy aptly pointed out in a commentary Wednesday night….People were dying from gunshot wounds in Toronto this summer and gun registry was well in place….

But at the same time as not understanding the value, I have played ball. I have attempted to register my couple old hunting guns. I have nothing to fear or hide.

But then the auditor general comes along with this type of revelation on spending. A 500% over run, and the fact that it was hidden from government – that is just inexcusable….

If this government has an ounce of credibility it would apologize for this colossal screw up, look for some believable explanation, and then fire who ever authorized this kind of spending.

As so many media outlets have noted in the last couple days….and I’m sure it will continue for a while….does anybody in government have any clue at how much good and benefit $1 billion could have made to a wide range of people and agencies? All this money really has done has allowed someone in Ottawa or New Brunswick to record the fact that I have a 30-year-old, 22 calibre rifle, locked away in my basement that on a good day may fire one out of every 10 rounds simply because it is worn out… Now isn’t that good to know for $1 billion.

As much as the Prime Minister thinks he is smart trying to blame critics of the registration system for the overrun, he just digs his hole a little deeper. This is a shamefully wasteful, excessive and poorly conceived and executed plan. And the government should fess up it.

Lee Hart
    Alberta Crops and Beef Magazine

I am not a big fan of the CBC, but last evening ,Rex Murphy had an editorial that was worth hearing. Hopefully it will show up on the cbc website soon.

Comment

Lee: Great letter and thankyou for writing it on behalf of those of us less eloquent! I also sent one of similar nature albeit less diplomatic... some mathematical points of interest I came up with, #1 - the cost overrun, actually 500 times, is in fact a 50,000% increase over the promised budget, and this is only what the A.G. uncovered so far! #2 - That amount would employ 2,851 rank and file police officers full time for 10 years, and the interest alone would employ another 2,285 indefinitely! If the Liberals were really serious about protecting lives, would this not be a much more effective way to do so? I have many other thoughts as well, but i should digress before my blood pressure gets out of hand... Once again, thanks Lee, and I love your column!

Comment

After all this time I still get riled up just thinking of this fiasco. And after all the collossal coverups of blunders it is still not over. Today on the news I heard the government has hired two different firms to try and figure out how they can streamline the registry. I guess I shouldn't even get excited, its only 120,000 more dollars, but it striked me that by now you would have thought even this self centered government would have concluded it was a waste of time and money. Not that lucky tho we will try and see if we can spend some more money foolishly, no wonder governments are short of money for medical care. It just sickens me!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...