• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raising Green Cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Green Cattle

A developer working on a green farm in AZ and he is looking for any good technology that he should look into for green cattle and chicken raising?

What do you suggest.

Enroll in a Holistic Management course, this will give you all the tools you need.

Comment

Good operators get cattle to market with a smaller carbon footprint than poor operators. Let the market work to have green cattle.

Comment

Oh, I thought he meant green as in lacking condition.

Comment

The price for green is going to rise in the near future.

Comment

we can't afford beef in the stores now, I don't see anyone paying more for green or organic.

Comment

Beef is not expensive, the farmer is finally getting paid for what he works hard all year for. Average wage of 20 bucks an hour you can afford beef. Just stop paying for all the toys and trips you non beef producers have. If any thing price could go up more yet. And if you are in it for a fast green buck go back to your day job.

Comment

Happytrails the the way to get cattle to market with the lowest possible carbon footprint is by finishing them in a feedlot. And Grassfarmer when it comes to cattle your definition of "green" is the correct one IMHO

Comment

wasting time and money!!! !talking organic or so called green beef
                  tough meat, our large local supermarket -
                  told us last week , we always have past date of that meat left!!! and of course one day old it sold less than than our normal beef, yes this is same thing happened with milk , eggs and special organic spinach he said .
                  so what is the big deal all about ????
                  talking about grassfed ! we have 6 month winter in this country , no gras growing !!!!!!

Comment

BFW I'm with you 100% When they need what my ranch can't provide they're on a truck. .

Comment

The reason A&W is pushing "Cleaner" beef is not because they may sell a few more burgers In Lacombe, it's because all the fastest growing chains in North America are using that marketing strategy.
                      You have to look over the horizon Ag -boy.
                      California has 40 million people.
                      Costco has 10 ft of cooler space for grass fed hamberger. Guess where they see the growing market?

Comment

First of all BFW I would like to congratulate you on your willingness to invest millions of dollars in the industry...must have a iron stomach.Though you have built up my curiosity in how you figure the feedlot industry leaves the lowest carbon footprint?

Comment

Dogpatch - it's been happening for years - people paying a premium for grass-fed beef. Interesting point we are at in that market - you say beef is too expensive in the stores but I see that as an opportunity for grass-fed. Commodity beef price has risen substantially so now our grassed trades at less of a premium to commodity. Customers see that and are more prepared than ever to switch to grass-fed. Cost of production is less with grassed so it's a win-win.

ag-boy, so which large supermarket is selling grass-fed or organic beef and where is it sourced? I'd be interested to know. Chances are with it being large supermarket it would be produced "factory" style to keep up with demand which doesn't lead to quality.

Family farm raised, knowledge of grass and attention to detail that's what make good grass-fed and will always prevent it from becoming "commodity"

You know there was an invention a while back called a freezer? Wonderful things they permit like having customers clamouring to order your beef 8 months ahead of slaughter, then they use this invention called the freezer to store a whole years supply of beef and the producer is paid for it up-front.
                          Imagine that, seasonal production, lower carbon footprint, excellent product, customer satisfaction #win-win.

Comment

Grass I commend you on building a clientele with deep freezes who are able to afford purchasing a long term supply of beef. Problem I have with this is not everyone has enough freezer space nor that kind of money to do so. There will always be a need for commodity beef to feed everyone else. I fatten a few calves myself a peddle halves to people I know. However I quit selling as many because quite frankly most working folks don't have cash to buy a quarter. It's sad I know but that's most priorities. People who you think should be flush are no better if not worse than the guy in the old wreck of a house. These folks will go to the grocery store and buy what they need for the week.

Comment

The freezers are easy - used off kijjiji they are $50 for 20 plus cu feet. I will say our customers have been 99% city dwellers - rural residents usually know someone still on a farm. You can't do it if you have to peddle the meat - you've got to set it up so they are actively coming to you looking for it. Peddling sounds like too much work to me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.