• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

borage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borage

Have any of you done any research on the harvesting of borage? Are there any new approaches to improve the amount we harvest?

I have forwarded your question on to individuals in AAFRD who have been working closely with borage. I have asked them to post their responses in this forum for your viewing.

Comment

Sorry it took awhile to dig some information out for you. Because borage is indeterminate, it blooms and sets seed all season. This means a lot of shattering before harvest. It is cool days and nights in the last 10 days of seed maturation that determines the GLA content (reason for growing borage!) To maximize seed yield it is important to have lateral branches flowering. Because Borage is a succulent plant, high moisture tough stems are going into the combine. Swathing helps to remove some of the moisture. Swathing should be done when the first few flowers have lost their seeds. To prevent seed loss, swath when there has been heavy dew or light rain. Combining is done as soon as the wet material can be threshed out in the combine. Use of Reglone and glyphosate have been tried in the UK. They found swathing gave higher yields than use of preharvest chemicals.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.