• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup Power

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Power

On a completely different subject than the behavior of politicians, our power has been out for a good portion of the last 2 days due to frost on the lines. We've been in a house for several years with no heat source independent of electricity. I've always been thinking that when we get around to it we will put in a wood stove or fireplace to keep the place from freezing up if the power goes out. In the meantime I did recondition a little old Winpower tractor driven alternator for emergency use. Well did it come in handy lately!! And it got me to thinking (slow) that we need a lot more than heat if the power goes out. We need ELECTRICITY. Our lives are so electrified that without it we almost can't continue. So my focus has suddenly switched from wood burning to better electricity backup. Another tractor driven gen is on my shopping list because you can always find a tractor to run it. It would be interesting to hear the strategies that better minds have developed. Merry Christmas!

Thanks for making me think. Just remembering the storm in spring of 1989ish

Comment

How does frost on the lines knock the power out? I understand ice storms bringing down lines but not frost.
      Reminds me of Britain where train service was sometimes suspended in the fall due to leaves on the line!

Comment

We have had problems the last few days as well.
        GF - on the lines that are not run on cross braces (side by side) but that are above and below...
        The hot wire is on top and the ground wire is below. In the event that a hot wire breaks it is designed to fall on the ground wire, trip the breaker down the line and stop folks from getting electrocuted. With frost pulling the lines down (some have dropped more than 4' in our area, sometimes the frost will fall off the bottom line first and it will spring up and hit the top wire, shorting out the line and throwing the power. In other cases with old poles the added weight can create problems, or the inherent moisture in the air can create issues with various control boxes as well.

Comment

Just got back in from putting the little tractor on the gen again. Power went out again at 7:45. Blows me away how much better things are when the power is on. Good Morning!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...