• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good day

Preg checked the cows today. Two open out of 140, and one of them was a nut bar heifer we were already regretting saving. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Lol

Would be pretty hard to top that result. Good going.

Comment

We eere pretty pleased.

Comment

Were. Pretty pleased. Not good at spelling, but pleased.

Comment

Hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the butt though.
          I remember years ago being frustrated that no matter what we did we lost 4 calves every year, usually with scours or other young calf problems. One year we thought we had cracked it. Only lost 1 calf up until weaning - the next morning found a calf had hung himself on a gate, and we lost a couple with pneumonia in the next few days. After that I quit trying to read so much into the numbers!

Comment

Something always comes up. We can all count on that. Stay in this business long enough, and we eventually see all kinds of things go bad and good.

It all comes with the territory. We've seen everything from a 105% calf crop, thanks to twins, all the way to an outbreak of cryptosporidia that was nothing short of a nightmare. We only had 55 cows back then, and 53 of the calves needed to each spend four days off the cow and on electrolytes to survive. Two calves died, which was so much better than it could have been, and it almost killed the two of us. Never thought I would see the day we would be carrying electrolytes to the barn in five gallon pails, but that's what we did.

Makes you appreciate it all the more when things go right.

Comment

Awesome Kato

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...