• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COMMERCIAL SALE----CWA NOV 29 2014

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMMERCIAL SALE----CWA NOV 29 2014

Haven't posted anything for some time.
    For those of you still in the cow-calf business I thought following these prices for "open replacements' and 'bred heifers" might be of some value.

CWA like other former shows is struggling.

Open Heifers -----75 on offer

Top pen of 5 F1s----$2500.00 each @ 730 lbs.

Rest of pens $1800---$2100 680lbs to 730 lbs.

Most Sim/R Angus types.

Bred Heifers on offer. 140 head including 35 head from Westman Vermillion.

Top pen of 5 $3550 Sim/Angus
    Average $2900 range.

Now hearing results from Vermillion Dec Sale----Westmans Sale Dec 1, Little Willow on 6, Should be YCOULIE and New Genes with Mac Quantock in January.

Swift current has 6 Mile consigner sale today.

Maple Creek "Rock Solid" sale on Dec 8 just to name a few.

This info is to those that like to follow these Bred Heifer Sales.

Wow. That's all I have to say.

Comment

Thanks Sadie. I have not been following the sales, although I guess I should as I have spoken for a package of cows in the last couple of days. My long term thinking is that these new ones will dollar cost average into the cowherd, although they will not likely be as profitable as cows bought last year.
      I just sold a cow last week that I bought as a pair in 2003. I have no idea how old she was, but she was mean and cranky and never missed a calf and sold as a cull for more than I bought her for as a pair 11 years ago. I think with today's prices depreciation may become more of a cost as we head towards the downside of the cycle.
      I am still a bit surprised by the lack of difference between cull and bred prices though.
      The heifer retention report still shows a declining cowherd and I have visited with various folks and share the opinion that even a lot of these dispersals of good cows are seeing 70% go to slaughter.

Comment

Sean

Asking for you to report on the Bred Heifers sales that just happened out of the Vermillion area.

Maple Creek, Swift Current had good commercial bred heifer sales but Vermillion sale results on Saturday are certainly hitting across the countryside.

I would rather have someone that is close to Vermillion that is more in direct contact put results on Agriville if possible.

Exciting times out there. Our operation brought in bred heifers again this fall, culled hard on the cow-herd with any older cow, eye, bag etc ---gone.

Due to winter feed situation, labor and uncertain grass situation in 2015 (PFRA pasture download will affect our operation)------We have our open replacement heifers on offer at SLS (Saskatoon) in a regular Sale on Tuesday Dec 9.

Comment

Sadie, I don't really follow the heifer sales around here, but will see what I can find out. I have heard the Westman sale was around $2900 but can't find any official results on the NB page. To be honest I have not stepped foot in NB in probably 10 years. I expect the Y coulee sale on the 8th will be pretty good.
          Most of the cattle sold around here, fit other programs very well, but don't really work with what we are doing or trying to do.

Comment

Commercial Bred heifer sales across the country.

Follow on DLMS.

Rock SOLID---Swift Current Monday. Over 500 sold. Simmental X Angus

Many lots $3500----$4400.00 range.

Y Coulee at Vermillion on Monday 120 commercial bred heifers sold.

$3500 ----$4000.00 Range.

Things really picked up from the Week of Agribition the last week in Novmenber.

Comment

I'm with kato on this one...wow...do those heifers come with a guarantee.

Comment

Question the wisdom of the guys buying heifers at that kind of money - probably the people that were afraid to pay $1100 for them this time last year.

The other thought is how many of these breeds are going stateside where prices are higher? I saw a truck from Rapid City, SD at the auction in town recently.

Comment

Just a quick note from those at these sales. Most are going back into local ranchers herds.

Think about it. They are selling their old girls for good $$$. Selling all the calves. Keeping their herds young and forward averaging the price of these heifers.

There is no new players in the game that one has noticed as yet.

Comment

Bred cows at Ste. Rose are reported at $2200 to $3200. Straight commercial cows, I think.

Comment

To me Sadie there is a time to build and a time to watch...I'm in the watch mode.

Comment

Watching here too. But we are also making darn sure we keep our cow numbers up.

Comment

Exactly blackjack, there were plenty chances to build younger herds in recent years. Maybe its the guys that thought the industry was in a "DEATH SPIRAL" and sold their cows that are buying back the high priced ones now?

Comment

Interesting comments. I have never changed my program. I have always bought 15 to 20 bred heifers every year from the same reputable producer.

This is what our operation can handle comfortable with infra-structure and man-power.

Selling steers, Open heifers on the same market you buy back on never hurts an operation.

Keeping a young herd is important to my operation.

Comment

We bred 70 to 90 heifers every year, no worries about what they are bred to or what heifers are going to turn out like. Yes it is a cost the last couple of years as prices increase for stockers, but if you believe in what you are doing, why change!

SCS

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...