• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain Grading Services....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Grading Services....

Which companies are people using for grain testing/grading services? I've used SGS and CGC this year. How about Intertek? Or do people just rely on their buyers grade?

SGS. There is nothing they can't test for

Comment

I like intertek.
      Very 3rd party.
      Have sent them there the last couple years. Usually show potential buyers the results too after they've done their own grading. Neither buyer nor seller like surprises.

Comment

I've seen it where the grain companies have offered better grades than CGC test results. It likely all depends how the grain fits into what they're looking for. Maybe it has an ergot issue but they need the protein. Or maybe they need some high HVK durum and will overlook some slight midge damage. Lots of scenarios. Shop around, don't let them take your business for granted.

Comment

I would watch and make sure they assess it right. Then who ever you end up dealing with make sure they or you keep that sample so you can visit it if they don't think you are bringing in same grain.

The bigger issue is when your hauling make sure you watch how they do the dockage and protein. Lots of human error happens at both.

You wouldn't believe how many elevators do DKG wrong or % not calculated right (in their favor) and how many times what is on the protein machine or the actual % of DKG isn't what is on your check. Some times those numbers are manually transferred 2 or 3 times by different people and mistakes happen.

Just like cashing a check at the bank: Watch to make sure they do it right and make them recount if not. I wouldn't let the bank short me 10cents on a check so why should I let the elevator?

Know your grain, proper procedures and your right and responsibilities.

No elevator will get mad at you if you only ask them to do it the right way that it is in the Grain Grading Guide because if push comes to shove they are liable.

Comment

Here is a couple things to consider.
            If you had Cwrs graded by elev, 3rd party or even the CGC harvest survey before Nov 19th and it was down graded for subjective factor, it may not be accurate.
            Nov 19th the CGC came out with new standards and mildew guides any cwrs graded before that date would have been compared to old standards.

Second, if your cwrs had mildew but no frost and was down graded make sure grader is comparing to mildew guide not the standard.

Comment

wmoebis, re: mildew. I looked in the grain grading guide and found nothing for "numbers". How the **** can you "objectively assess" mildew? Sarcasm fully intended.

....I'm looking again, in case I missed something.

Comment

Yes mildew is not an objective factor it is a subjective factor and is represented in the standards and guides.
                The standards represent the bottom of each grade for Fr,FrGr and mildew. The Mildew guides represent the max amount of mildew when no frost is present and will be more mildew than the standard.

Comment

Page 4-22 of the guide.

Comment

Yup, it's there with an explanation, saw it when you brought it up a while ago. Still no numbers.... that's my subjective opinion.

Comment

Stormin. How tough was the grain and did they overlook it(used to be a $7/tonne deduction for tough but that could have changed by now)? If they did, sometimes we have to give a little to get a little.  Don't know what  to say about the px test other than I think we could expect "slight" variations between tests, but I wouldn't think half a point.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.