• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing malt

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher om soils areas, are usually offset by more rainfall and less heat, too though. Up here , it is hard enough to get wheat Px over 12.5 or 13, let alone having trouble with it in barley.

Comment

... on soils with higher om than many areas have, I meant to say.

Comment

Why bother with malt.. Malting industry is nothing more than a bunch of cherry picking gouging pos!! the godfather makes the malting industry look like an angle!

Comment

New crop contracts for $5.00 that's why.
          Here anyways.

Comment

black...you ever enter into malt production contract down there, and if so, are they picky on accepting? or do they try take production/work with producer?

Comment

This is how the malt business works. Throw out a high bid in the winter early spring and get a bunch of acres contracted and seeded. Then come harvest if the price has dropped find every reason in the world not to take the contracted grain. Maybe they will even make you store it till march before rejecting it...

Comment

Klause do not grow malt for cash flow, bad idea IMO. Oats or wheat wheat would be better.

Comment

thanks bgmb.

Trouble with wheat and oats is... We had off the combine Sept wheat contract, still have another load to ship now. Rest went last week.

Sept oats may go in March. Will buy back that contract and haul it south again.

In this area they took flax off the combine and canola... and peas... maybe that's all a guy can grow for fall cash flow.

Comment

Klause my suggestion is grow without contract. And also watch planting intentions. We grow malt. But If pkentiful your contract may as well piss on it. Contract is nothing but a max price contract. Is what it is. Then again hopefully better than viterra oats this fall taken in hopefully 2015.

Comment

Klause you know my opinion. After you grow a crop you can bargain on details after you know them. Otherwise your locked in a one way deal the specs on malt have generally not been met here the last 4 years. but based on past a lot has been picked up same period.. What i am saying is past malt growers have had it picked up even under spec. Grow the quality and you will get paid. New customer could be tuff if high acres. I had 95 percent acceptance in 20 years. Out of them probably half would have made contract so **** the contract. It will go later. Not sure you understand as you like tto forward price .

Comment

Braveheart N supply can get a little tricky to predict above 4% OM. It's not that you can't figure out how much there will be but when it shows up will depend on the season. Warm moist soil with 4% OM can pump out close to 50 lbs of N.

Comment

Even all the N in straw from the big wheat crop two seasons ago is just showing up this fall.

Comment

I helped a major elev Co with malt program one year. We selected for export and offered to malt Co's for selection to their specs and rejected non spec into feed market. I learnt that there is 2 ways to get barley selected.

1- Grow good malt barley year after year meet all specs, then if you have a bad year due to weather or something beyond your control, they will still select it so that you won't give up and start growing for feed market.

2- Owe the elevator Co enough money for seed, chem, fert or high price contract you cant afford to buy out and they will select your barley to make sure they get paid.

Comment

Thanks Ado. That helps to explain why it's hard for us to keep protein in our malt barley down even when we reduce rates of N substantially.

Comment

we are long time malt growers and have good luck most years getting accepted but not this year. My rules are sign only act of god contracts with malt. Too many guys are signing delivery contracts with malt barley with no AOG clause, these are not going to end well in many years. Grow what the buyer is asking for. Its ok to try some barley on spec but most buyers want specific varieties. Don't skimp on fungicides.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...