• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A truck question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A truck question

So I'm looking at options for hauling water/or bales on a flatbed, gooseneck hitch trailer. Want to pull heavier loads than I should with my 1 ton truck. Just for around the farm and on a few gravel roads, not the highway.
    How would these single axle drive tractor units (like a 3 ton?) be for that purpose? would they have much traction either loaded or empty in terms of moving about on pasture? I just have no experience with this type of vehicle.

Have an International 4700 with 466 engine. Love the truck for cattle hauling on highway. Was involved in a highway accident a few years ago....Ponoka overpass with about 20 vehicles, my one ton couldn't stop the cattle trailer, but lady behind me couldn't stop either. Thats when I made moves to get a bigger truck. Feel safer on highway, up higher and feel like I have brakes even though they are still hydraulic.
    Cheaper to fix and great on fuel. Only problem is two wheel drive and sometimes in sticky snow, it doesn't take much to spin out. A 4x4 would be great, but pif weather isn't conducive, I just stay home.
    BTW, good luck on your new venture Grassy!

Comment

How heavy are your loads GF? One tons will pull 20,000 lbs these days. I think they are the best fit if the loads are in that range. 4WD, crew cabs, and can still take them for supplies or a night out. And, by the way, happy trails to Manitoba. I knew a fellow who rode horseback from Manitoba to Alberta....twice!! I think he always thought it was worth it but each to their own.

Comment

thanks perfeco.

Comment

The one tons have loads of power...can pull lots...it is the stopping I got worried about! And the control.......

Comment

So HT is there a big difference in traction/pulling ability/handling off road between a regular crew cab 1 ton 4X4 versus a dually flat bed 4x4 1 ton?

Comment

No GF, my guess isthere will be very little difference. So you will need a bigger truck. I must have thought that your present 1 ton was more like the old cornbinders I learned to drive with.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...