• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HRS in Canada is Becoming a grain to not grow!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HRS in Canada is Becoming a grain to not grow!

It seems with all the moisture were getting and the shit prices for HRS is it to now going to go the way of the Dinosaur.
    See after finishing this years harvest and prepricing 50% of my expected production I will loose so much cash growing HRS that it isn't even funny.
    Well hold on all you guys who were able to grow #1 HRS and are experts in Farming.
    Every one knows the shit show that went on in our area the last 8 years and the past summer was no better.
    But pre priced grain minus a shitty basis minus a shitty discount from a #2 down to feed on some, your 14 protein is theirs for the taking with no premium its all shipped to the coast so you know its not being sold as feed and even at a average of 57.8 HRS is my biggest waste of land.
    You fertilize to get a high yield and high protein. You spray to keep it clean you watch for midge and disease and spray if needed. Disease delays the crop but hey it gives you bushels. Then it goes flat from hail wind storm and massive rain, Finally you harvest in Late October and your done. You phone Sask crop insurance and tell your yield and grade and they say well so sad your way over so even with a grade factor their is no payment.
    Barley at 80 x 3 or 80 x 5 malt is money.
    Oats at 150 x 3 or 100 x 3 is money.
    Wheat is becoming like Canola a crop that cost way to much to grow. Yet still some want seed to quadruple and that will help.
    We need leadership in this country in Ag.
    At the local car dealership worst November in years and he wonders why. Then the local equipment dealer is wondering where all the young ambitious farmers are that they expected to purchase equipment. Then their is the Huge corporate farm failure. Throw in farmers who wondered all fall if they will seed any thing in 2015 because the land is to wet for equipment at freeze up what will happen in spring.
    Fertilizer sales are way off and so is Canola seed. Yes their is bookings but numbers are down.
    How bad is it really in Western Canada. I think most will squeeze a poor year through but how many will not.
    Yes I am a realist but with all the increases that happened the last three to five years will farmers be able to weather the storm that is approaching.
    Wheat the one crop that western Canada use to be able to grow and grow well has issues at all levels from rail service to elevators with no competiton to shitty weather, disease pressure etc.
    But what can a farmer grow. 4000 acres of oats at 150 is 600000 bushels that's 40 bags. That's 1.5 to 1.8 mill. But if their is railway problems you wont move till 2016 if your lucky.
    Their is problems with ravens etc. Trucking your like a dairy married to the farm.
    Wheat for next year 5.50 for a #2 x 57 is 1.25 mill but your costs to grow betwwen seed fert spray disease is way higher.
    Durum disease has wiped durum off the map in our area a # 5 doesn't pay the bills.
    Barley at 80 is 320000 bushels is only 22 bags. Ravens leave alone. If its nice barley you get 5 if its feed 3.50 so basically 1.12 mil or 1.6 mill if its malt. with that size of acreage some will make malt unless the weather totally screws the area. So 1.4.
    Less costs that wheat on fert seed and spray No midge needed.
    SMF has costs.
    I guess my biggest problem with wheat is when its loaded in railcars for Vancouver and if its been taken from farmers for a feed and sold at coast not a feedlot in Canada. If the elevator companies are telling us the truth that its feed or a three. If you add elevation freight and a bit of a mark up. Shouldn't the world be knocking down our door to purchase this low priced wheat. Hell if you do the math were definitely the lowest price in the world. Hell Ukraine and Russia move over Canada is the new big player in cheap wheat.
    But sadly that is not the case it is delivered blended and sold and some one profits double what is being paid in western Canada. Ah what a system.
    So farmers why over produce to let other get rich off of us. Why buy expensive fertilizer to grow more bushels. Why spray the best sprays and use top seed varieties. Why?
    The world is not short of food because if it was the Poor three we have this year would feed a hell of a lot of bodies for a very cheap price.
    Ah farming its such a wonderful thing to do.

Sadly, we sure could have used the money we left on the table last year due to the rail crisis.

Comment

Yup.

Your comment about buying as a feed and being sold as a 1 could be eliminated with the cgc doing their job.

If 50 percent on the prairies is feed this year it would seem 50 percent of the sales of the west coast should be feed.

Do you think that is happening?

Sure they are blending but who should get the benefit of blending?

The graincos have never paid a real price for #1 cwrs. The least they could do is be honest about blending and grade accordingly.

8.50 selling price off the west coast. A buck and half deduction for freight and elevation. There are some good margins for someone in cwrs. Especially if feed is sold as a two off the coast.

But why would I say anything. Just shut up and be happy that there is an open market for farmers. Right? Sorry I meant open season on farmers.

Comment

Growing that much oats isn't the answer either but maybe dropping hrs. and doing 1300 acres wheat 1300 oats and 1300 barley makes more sense. Doing the numbers and Half oats and half barley seems the best.

Comment

well, what I don't understand is why anyone wants to farm 10000 acres ??? what about $100 cash rent ? it is us farmers paying this ridiculous amount . at the end of the day someone that knows how to work has to farm all this land .these investment companies cant do it as broad acres and one earth etc., etc. has proven . and there will be many more in the very near future ! but as long as we keep crawling over each others backs to give our money away , they will keep taking it . you need more machinery for the acres , then you need more acres for the machinery , round and round she goes , good for everyone selling all this shit ! dump some land , let these "experts " do it . grow some speciality crops , less inputs , then you don't have to grow a bunch of hrsw . "the world running out of food" is a bunch of horseshit designed to keep us sucked in . you only get one life to live !

Comment

And don't forget they created a farm operator course for these big guys.

I would prefer to have a mentorship program that creates farmers not employees.

Comment

I sold some high pro wheat for well over $8 loaded rail immediate delivery this week. The trouble isn't the price of wheat, the problem is what our business partners deem wheat to he worth sitting in the middle of the prairies.

Comment

You guys are on the wrong website. You should be on victimsrus.ca.

Comment

ado , would you mind saying who is paying that for high px wheat ? i cant seem to find any interest here ?

Comment

No Braveheart its discussion about the shit show we call farming in Western Canada.
                    See my contacts are saying seed sales for Canola is down. Farmers are not buying fertilizer etc. Farmers are not purchasing equipment at a huge rate. Car dealers are not getting truck sales.
                    So yes some will do very well with very good quality according to the industry.
                    And good for those that had the luck to grow it. Again I say luck because the weather created this shit show.
                    So the discussion is HRS and how cars are being loaded every week in our area 100 plus a time and going to the coast yet most have feed some have a three. So discussion is why isn't the west coast price of HRS the lowest in the world because with all the deductions were getting on this end it should be the cheapest product out their.
                    That my friend is the Million no Billion dollar question.
                    WTF is going on. Grain is moving cars are being loaded so who is making the big money if its not the farmer.

On the comment for 10000 acres total cost isn't 100 its 19.45 a acre a year. that's land taxes rent and mortgage payment's.
                    To the comment on the guy loading 8 dollar wheat.
                    If it was presold at 8 their is a deduction down to feed that takes away most. Ah farming what a occupation. Some win and some lose.

Comment

So SF3....

Barley at 80 x 3 or 80 x 5 malt is money.
                      Oats at 150 x 3 or 100 x 3 is money.

So wheat 57.8 x 6 is not money? Sask math?

Comment

Tweety bird take your 6 do the deductions for #3 or feed your not left with 6. Not even close.
                        But Ill play since you think Im wrong.
                        What Im getting at on a per acre basis their is way to much costs in growing a acre of wheat in high moisture area than their is growing oats or barley.
                        So your profit per acre is higher growing other crops.
                        Maybe phone a guy who has #5 or lower Durum and contracted 80% of his crop because for movement etc. and price it made sense. Now he owes the Grain company money to get out of this contract.
                        Some cases higher than he contracted for.
                        Ah farming in a bubble every thing looks rosy.

Comment

Sf3 that was a cash sale made this week. It is 15 pro or higher. I was not sharing this to brag but to point out the but hurt the industry is still laying on us. The more grain we can divert out of the traditional system the more they will have to take notice. My advice is to have buyer lined up with your grain samples or certs approved. The rail companies will call you to tell you the cars will be spotted. You will then have at least three weeks to sell the grain before they actually spot in most cases.

Caseih, send me an e-mail and I'll set you up. Eaglehillsgrain@gmail.com

Comment

What are our global competitive advantages and what are the disadvantages?
                            Cost of land?
                            Democratic government?
                            Freedom of choice to grow crops of our choice?
                            Proximity to market?

Etc
                            It feels like the costs are high, weather seems unpredictable, and freedom or ability to market to world market place ( feels a lot like the tar sands vs Brent Crude in Texas price disparity or discount ,every one is up in arms about with the pipeline that should be built but... Strong parallels to the rail system but they seem to have better lobby and priorities at the highestolitical levels in both countries...

Comment

The "fusarium programs" are out. I posted in a different thread the quality parameters of my grain. One demerit and it's knocked down to a feed or sample. The other strong merits are forgotten, bullshit!!! SF3 is right. The grade on the Prairies isn't(assumption)the same as the west coast, the trip over the mountains must do something to the grain as it magically improves the grade. I know my grain ISN'T feed or sample even if SGS or CGC or Intertec or whomever say it is, too many positive attributes to it...

Highly leveraged BTOs (and regular guys) will probably take it on the chin because they need their cash flow. Bags are emptying here, feeding the troll. Making it on razor thin margins... Well, maybe not all of them ;-0

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.