• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HRS in Canada is Becoming a grain to not grow!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good comparison the tar sands to Brent crude!
    I would like someone to explain where all the feed shipped to the coast is going! Since grade is a huge issue out west!

Comment

SF3, all I do is preach about prepricing grain that isn't in the bin. How the **** can you sell something you don't know you have. ANYTHING but ****ing cereals. Grades, proteins, 99% chance your going to be off spec. Canola and flax somewhat idiot proof. At least some of the other specialty crops have AOG clauses. ****, why sell wheat like that when you are assuming all the risk? And then they tell you what it is after the fact(grade and specs) you're locked in. DON'T put yourself in that position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wheat is a necessary rotational evil here. Looking back, I wonder if it wasn't my best money loser over time. Grade risk. Price.
        This spring I was angry at barley and assumed it would fall below wheat eventually as it always did before. Wrong again. More than one of my ingrained assumptions need to be rechecked.
        One thing I foresaw was HRS being sown less in certain areas with the removal of forced equalization. ( correct me if I'm wrong).
        You guys that have several other choices of crop stop growing it.

Comment

What I don't understand is AFTER the harvest sample survey and most farmers have their Wht graded by grain Co's and a lot of it is down graded ac mildew the standards committee and the CGC come out with new standards.

Shouldn't all that grain be regraded using new standards. Grain Co's will be shipping it using new standards.

Comment

HRSW has not been the crop to grow around here for about a decade. Obviously I am not a good wheat farmer. My best profit crops were canola and oats.
            Some people are good at growing wheat, Im kind of stupid and never understood why farmers insist on growing hard red spring wheat and thinking it's going to pay.

Comment

I remember years ago when I was a young farmer the old guys at the coffee shop asked why I didn't grow wheat. My response was that my farm is small, I have a family to feed and I can't afford to waste acres growing wheat!
              Of course that was received just like a fart in church. The same bunch of old guys are still farming today, all past retirement age, and out bidding me by $110,000 per quarter on local farmland so they were successful with wheat and canola.

Comment

Re: Mildew, talked to the CGC because I couldn't find any "numbers" regarding mildew. All I was told was that the tolerances increased for both "severity and frequency".

But still purely subjective, good luck.

Talked about ergot and how the tolerances are now all the same from 1 to a 3 CWRS. Suddenly it's not as "hallucinogenic", or deadly or what ever?

I told them .25% fusarium in #1 CWRS is unattainable. .... "vomitoxin" is supposedly too toxic according to all the tests and industry players and millers and end users decided on. Hmmph? Just like ergot?

Comment

Growing barley and wheat are pretty close to the same input cost. Both take fert, herbicide, fungicide, equipment and trucking cost etc.

Mathematically please show me how your original post point of wheat is not the one to grow but barley is.

Just trying to understand how you got there.

Comment

So make sure your wht is regraded using new standards properly.
                    Is marketers/CIGI/prod comm's promoting quality of this crop using nee standards or old. I would suggest old since that what all grain was graded on.

Comment

Tweety! Live in mud and you will understand! Wheat my once favorite crop is being destroyed by weather and grain companies! They now pick samples with tweezers and magnifying glasses! Protein means shit all it color or plumpness etc! When spraying for disease gives you more bushels but less dollars!
                      But again you want info here it is!
                      In the mud zone you gave to cut your Fert back from wheat or you will have the thickest healthiest barley you ever saw till the first thee inch rain that put it flat on the ground, throw in a hurricane wind and results are its ducked!
                      So Fert is less!
                      No spraying for midge!
                      Disease is cheaper control with tilt or even Aceppella at heading!
                      Yes same sees treatment and cheaper seed cost with barley!
                      Less cost crop insurance! Trucking usually a wash since if feed its fob!
                      No desicating but swath! Similar
                      But the big one no bullshit if it's malt its malt if it's feed its feed! No games no more bullshit!
                      Once whest goes to new way with seed costs my answer is easy drop the crop!
                      So yes if your in a marginal rain area that has had 8 great rain years it works that's was us up till the rains arrived!
                      Ever wonder why broad acre and one earth failed in our area! A once great growing grain area has been destroyed by rain and all these expensive managers can't pull good weather out of their spreadsheets!
                      Adapt or fail! Excess moisture sucks and I never would wish this shit on anyone!
                      Wheat is finished and acreage will be down in 2015, all thanks to shitty grading by grain industry to pas their coffers! Kill the supplier the supplier finally quits! It will happen watch!
                      Now bring on a drought for a few years and we would be back!

Comment

I am growing CPS for pigs next year. Hog barn is paying 5 bucks or more. No grade worries that way.

Comment

That's what I say free wheat! Pigs are fine and so are others its bullshit because all know it's moving for a good price and no grade challenge to fed people! It's a scam and it works! Because how does a rail car leave sask and make it to vancouver and on a boat gets unloaded and no ship rejected!
                          Pigs don't complain

Comment

Pigs do complain. We raised them for 18 years. They have no tolerance for vomitoxin.

Be careful with CPS for hogs if you are in a fusarium area.

Comment

It's not grading down for vomi!

Comment

My post was actually for Freewheat. There is some risk targeting the feed market with CPS if you are in a fusarium area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...