• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was Harvest????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How was Harvest????

How was harvest in everybody's area? Here in central Sk. where I live there is a little left to combine. I doubt that it will come off now as we have 4 or 5 inches of snow.

It was a long harvest with lot's of moisture and cold here. I was out to the farm show in Red Deer last week and kept hearing horror stories about crops and worried farmers and their future.

There was no harvest in this area worth talking about.east stettler

Comment

Hey Muttley in Ontario we still have about 120 acres of corn to dry down enough to combine. What we put in as high moisture ran about 155 bu/acre, about 145% of normal

Comment

What harvest?....Canola is still in the field

Comment

I started harvesting peas about the tenth of August and finished straight combining wheat on November 6. It took longer to combine the crop then to grow it, what a nightmare!!!!! I won't soon forget this year and on top of poor quality the yield wasn't that great. I guess that is why we carry crop insurance but thanks to our cheap government no extra money for farmers but lots for advertising campaigns and to hire old political hacks such as Tchorsewski, our per acre dollar coverage is way below what it should. I should be used to it, if you live in sask and farm you are a second class citizen. Enough whining at least we finished combining lots of our neighbours aren't so lucky.

Comment

The deer that survive all the Elmer Fudd's will be well fed this winter. There are still lots of swaths out in NE Sask. but I would say little grain in them. Their will be lots of smoke in the air next spring.
            The -6 frost in Aug. finished a lot of it. In our area the rain at least allowed second growth for feed. It's to bad it was such a struggle to get it baled. We had canola written off at .4bu.and barley at 1 bu. normally we harvest 30bu. canola and 70 bu. barley on stubble. At least it was a total write off so there was no fight with crop ins.
            After this year we will be going back to at least 1/4 of our acres in summerfallow. The chem and fertilizer bill will have to be cut.

Comment

I am glad so many have crop insurance, but I'm sure there are lot's out there that do not or have reduced their coverage as well.

I heard a story last night that some snowmobilers were parked along side of a local highway trying to get out all the straw that was rapped around their tracks. I bet with all the swaths out there we will see more of that.

Comment

Mine was similar to les. (same basic area) we took off some wheat and barley, which ran 1.5 and 2.5 bus. respectively. It speaks volumes when coffee shop yield comparisons quote tenths of bushels! canola was zilch. The only bright spots were the wild oat patches, which yielded a whopping 1/6th bale per acre! I think I'm going into grasshopper ranching next year, as they are doing really quite well ;-) ...I hear they're actually quite tasty! Here's to a MUCH better 2003!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.