• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving on

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on

For anyone interested our ranch is on the market as of today.

We are moving on to pastures new next summer with a place we purchased at Belmont, MB earlier this year. An opportunity to expand, escape the madness of the petro-state and return to living in a purely agricultural area.

Maybe good timing as the party that looked like it had a chance of bringing political change to Alberta committed suicide on the weekend.

And you wondered why I was quizzing you on grazing corn Kato, lol.

Good luck in Manitoba.

Comment

I dont know how far west of rimbey you are but 40 yr ago when I was in red deer we used to hunt there and there was nothing but the odd stump ranch and a lot of bears and of course the Willisten green oil field. Dont want to pry but what is asking prices per acre not counting buildings?

Comment

There is quite a variation Horse depending how far west you go. We are 9 miles west of town and we are still on black soil here but the grey wooded / bush/muskeg starts just 3 or 4 miles further west.

There is lots of land growing canola and wheat right next to me that would easily be in the $2500-$2800 region for bare land. Don't know how much the poorer stuff west of us makes on average.
        Saw one quarter with @40 acres of open pasture the rest bush and muskeg sell at auction this spring a little west of me - it made over $270,000.

Comment

Welcome to Manitoba. You will be 100km directly south of us. You picked a pretty good spot. It's an area that doesn't see the flooding that is so common here.

The biggest difference you may find is with your direct marketing. Winnipeg and Brandon are about it, as far as markets, and people here are in a different economic world than in Alberta. That being said, there is a lot of direct marketing going on. You should check out the Harvest Moon Society, if you haven't already. They are a pretty well established group, and are mainly from the southwest part of the province. They can be found pretty easily online. Your operation would be a good fit.

We make less money here, but we also spend less. Our winters are not as variable as near the mountains, but they are long, cold, and sometimes can be pretty snowy. You will soon find that the entire world ends at the edge of Winnipeg, as far as the government is concerned too. Lol. We are all used to that.

Comment

Thanks kato. Actually I'm planning on giving up the direct marketing - doing it myself anyway. We know a couple of young direct marketers in that area that are sheepy/goaty friends of yours that are so much smarter and more ambitious than me. We're going to work with them in some capacity, probably fatten cattle for them to market. Time moves on - I want to just concentrate on my cows and take life a bit easier.

Comment

Surprise!!! Kinda quiet on Commodity marketing so I thought I would see what's happening here, I promise I won't stay. I really shouldn't comment on anything I'm "out of touch" with, with that being said I should probably never comment at all then. But here it goes... Grassfarmer, would it not be fair to say that it is the "petro dollar" that is responsible for the land values in Alberta? I'm glad you're able to take advantage of the increase of land prices and not be afraid to move and look for more opportunity for you and your family (when the time comes and if that is what they want to do). WederVille... The scenery where you are now is nice, as I mentioned in the other forum...Good Luck!

Comment

Would they be from Dunrea? If so, .. Good people. They are pretty sharp, and imho, they've got a bright future ahead of them.

Comment

farmaholic, yes the petro dollar drives land prices here but its not "free money" by any means. Off farm employment at high wage rates only helps those wishing to work off farm. For the rest of us it's an increasing frustration as our slaughter plants and almost every other agricultural business is at breaking point as they can't get/retain workers.

Comment

That would be them kato - I've never met a couple with a brighter future in agriculture.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have never been to manatoba, I thought about it some and my choise would have been on a boat on the lakes . But as with every thing in life it seems to soom old and to late smart, and of course when one is young you have no money and when you get a little money age and health plays a large part . Best of wishes on your new adventure as you dont get to come back and do it over.

Comment

Grassfarmer: So in some ways you are an agricultural refugee escaping from the fascist regime of the Regressive Conservative government of Alberta. Can't blame you for your choice in moving to Manitoba. In the last seven decades I have seen this province go from prosperity for many to a province with policies that create prosperity for those willing to develop our resources in what you describe as a "reckless manner".

The farmer/rancher has finally awakened to the fact that this government has stacked the deck when it comes to landowner rights and the old boards are gone where we might get some satisfaction with disputes over incursions by oil and gas developers. Now we have one man "controllers" appointed by government to manage these affairs. The electrical supply industry and the oil and gas industry where it relates to landowners and consumers are effectively controlled by government SHILLS.

Comment

I wouldn't disagree with anything you have written wilagro. I also recognize there are many people that are happy with the way things are, it just depends on your values.

Just got back from delivering beef in Canmore and some in Cochrane. The "Men of Vision" statue in Cochrane was one of the things that made an impression on me when I first toured this area of Alberta before moving here. A tribute to the ranchers that established the Cochrane ranch - the first big scale ranch in Alberta.
                          Unfortunately it's hard to see the statue now, it still sits up on its hill but your eye is drawn to the condo's and huge houses covering the hillsides around. The town motto, proudly shown on the Cochrane sign is "How the West is Now" I suppose its true but I find that rather sad. I guess others think $500,000 houses and shiny trucks are the ultimate in progress.

Coming closer to home passing through Eckville there are signs of construction by the railway tracks. The elevators were torn down years ago, the fertilizer plant that replaced it torn down this year. The next great thing is a "frack sand depot" where they can bring the stuff in by the trainload to truck out to well sites. These depots are springing up across central Alberta.
                          Interesting that these frac sand depots aren't being brought in with the fanfare that usually accompanies development in small towns. I think its a recognition that this is a shady practice, dangerous, experimental at best and essentially unregulated.

I'm reminded of one of my favourite songs.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zR9r9olOg

Comment

Good luck to you and your family on the big move.

Comment

Hopefully, right decision, Good Luck..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...