• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans

We are going to have a quarter seeded to a few different bean varieties for 2015.

Any varieties ya'll want to see? Tests of
    ssnake oils"?

willing to try a few different things, but since we will set it up as a plot type thing we want to know what ya'll would like to see...

For prelim. plans...

Our check variety will be
    NSC Moosomin RR2Y From Northstar.

We will also *hopefully* have the newest greatest latest bean from DeKalb in there (22-60RY)

Looking for 1 or 2 more varieties if ya'll are interested. Let's hear what you want.

We will double inoculate all beans, then treat with CruiserMaxx Advanced

Soil tests show a need for 30 lbs of K and 15 of S which will be spring broadcast, field will be worked once after broadcast.

Seed will be placed with 15lbs of 11-52-00 for pop up effect.

Preseed weed control will be 1L equiv of Gly Valtera.

In crop will be as Re'qd but planning on 1 pass of 1L/ac of gly 1 pass of Bassagran Assure II.

Comment

Klause, are you going to try some Restons? They might fit well in your area.

Comment

We could add Restons... Yup.

They are closer to the Warrens we grew from the sounds of things.

Ok, one more variety.

Only thing, can't be a Brett Young. Their beans suck as bad as their canola.

Comment

Do you have thunder? You were promoting them Ithought.

Comment

I give you credit for trying, we tried two years of them but our climate is just not hot enough to make them thrive. Low 20 yields but usually grade #4 because of green kernels from frost. They were double inoculated and cost us about $115/ac to seed.
            20bus/acx$10/ac=$200/ac
            seed $115.00
            chemical $10/ac
            land $40/ac min
            equip $50/ac
            labour $10/ac
            fuel $10/ac
            insurance $10/ac
            total expenses $245/ac min

Comment

Can you get warrens. They are a rr1. Thought Monsanto made seed growers give all that back as to protect their asses being you could technically seed them if purchased in 2012.

Comment

Warrens seems pretty good for us when we tried them. But that was 4 years ago. And haven't grown any since.

Comment

Id only use valtera if u really think u need it, these residuals can be hot on the crop. I only use two shots of roundup at 0.6l/ acre. Never have weed issues at harvest. Maybe in your area the beans will be shorter, and canopy may not close enough to control additional weed flushes though. Also, dont cut seed rate with an air seeder, go heavy, 225-250k plants/acre. If the air seeder is splitting some, slow fan and boost seed rate. As for varities, dont grow older ones, newer varities say in the last three years are better, lots of improvement.

Northstar varities a really good, but suggest trying some pioneers, dekalbs and thunders. Manitoba crop insurance data should be online in a few months, good resource for comparing performance, i dont rely on seedco trial data for obvious reasons.

U going to try row cropping some too? They grow taller, but can take longer to mature.

Try getting hold of some of the seed cos to see if they will support your trials, they may kick in some costs, and a weigh wagon. Good luck, interested in seing the results.

Comment

Id only use valtera if u really think u need it, these residuals can be hot on the crop. I only use two shots of roundup at 0.6l/ acre. Never have weed issues at harvest. Maybe in your area the beans will be shorter, and canopy may not close enough to control additional weed flushes though. Also, dont cut seed rate with an air seeder, go heavy, 225-250k plants/acre. If the air seeder is splitting some, slow fan and boost seed rate. As for varities, dont grow older ones, newer varities say in the last three years are better, lots of improvement.

Northstar varities a really good, but suggest trying some pioneers, dekalbs and thunders. Manitoba crop insurance data should be online in a few months, good resource for comparing performance, i dont rely on seedco trial data for obvious reasons.

U going to try row cropping some too? They grow taller, but can take longer to mature.

Try getting hold of some of the seed cos to see if they will support your trials, they may kick in some costs, and a weigh wagon. Good luck, interested in seing the results.

Comment

I don't think Pioneer has anything early enough for Klause's area.

Comment

Thanks, MBgrower. Want this kind of discussion.

We need Valtera for Kochia control.

The reason we want to use Assure II is for its activity on foxtail barley, big problem here if there's thistle Bassagran works real well.

We will be planting with a drill, not an air seeder. Going to go for 250K pop.

Remember, we grew beans and grew good yields in Manitoba with Warrens and then not so good yields with Pekkos - not a newbie to beans

What do you use for your innoculants? I'm looking at liquid applied peat with two different strains.

Have you used TagTeam on them? Any gain?

Our drill is setup for 6"-6"--12"-6"-6"--12" which is what we will be using here.

varieties will be planted in two sets to replicate. 12' spacing between varieties.

Comment

Other thing, MB, what's your experience with the different seed treatments? We always used Cruiser but now there's many different ones available... Cruiser seemed to have a bit more pop up effect?

Comment

Re Pekkos, if I remember right you were at Dauphin? Pekkos might have been too early for there.

I saw a field of Pekkos this year near Treherne that were amazing.

Comment

soy need good soil fertility but you wont get response with direct application of fertilizer,invest in good weed control,30yrs growing IP soybean

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.