• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugged Unloading Auger on A85 Gleaner

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugged Unloading Auger on A85 Gleaner

Anyone have experience unplugging an auger like this? Entire day wasted and she's packed solid, won't budge.

Plugged with what crop, how damp?

Comment

Maybe blew a gear box?

Comment

Did you fold it back into its cradle or do you think its too heavy? You may have to empty the hopper by opening the clean outs or using a grain vac. If its plugged right to the inlet, emptying the hopper is likely a must so it doesnt try to take in anymore grain and make it possible to manually reverse it on the chain drive on the right side of the combine or the belt drive on the left. Getting the portion of the auger in the hopper empty first would likely help with the swinging portion if reversing is needed and possible. Lucky for us this hasnt happened yet. We don't dump on the go and never engage the auger at full engine rpm and slow engine speed as the auger emptys to prevent chattering and shaking. There are no gearboxes. Belt drives(on leftside) an auger across the bottom of the hopper moving the grain to the right then a heavy chain(on the right side) drives the auger that removes the grain from the hopper. Is your belt slipping or smoked from trying?

Comment

Plugged an auger on my dryer, and couldn't get it to budge. After lots of digging it was still tight. tried burning it clean with gasoline, didn't really work, I had corn in it, about 18%.
          Finally got into it and found dead animal fur and flesh,
          Couldn't tell if was a squirrel or racoon. Nasty work.

Comment

Clarification.... because of how the swinging portion of the unloading auger couples to the stationary portion in the hopper, turning the swinging auger backward may not be possible because the coupler kind of resembles a slip/ratchet clutch. Which is meant to hold and turn in one direction only. Rocking with a pipewrench on the discharge end might get some grain out of that portion of the auger Let us know how you managed to get it unplugged. Please work safe.....

Comment

There's no way to back it up. Hopper is empty of 18% wheat. When you engageit, it tries so hard that it either breaks the #80 chain and tears the tightener sprocket off.

Comment

Maybe you could pull the whole auger out with a front end loader or something

Comment

Which auger do u have! The turret type or other? Not sure what they call the other.

Comment

Probably doesn't apply here but I spent a day one time trying to unload 1680 auger. Eventually discovered auger is joined in the middle and had broken there. If I remember correctly mechanic used his crane to split the auger.

Comment

You would think the belt would slip before the chain would tear?

Comment

sumdumguy: I talked to the service guy at our MF dealership and he was surprised the shear bolts wouldn't have broken before the chain or idler tore off. Did someone weld that shear protection assembly together? He also mentioned the 07 and 08s had a major auger update after they came out. He said if you provide them with the serial number of the combine they can find out if your combine had it done. WS White's Ag Service, Whitewood. 306-735-2300. These guys have been good to me.

Comment

Thanx all, we will keep you posted. We bought it used, so who knows. You know how that goes.

Comment

Gonna phone White's right now but don't have a serial number on me. Maybe they will know how to make the thing turn.

Comment

can you get a high pressure hose into it?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...