• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety around bulls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety around bulls

Hey all!

My family and I have a small cow-calf beef herd in Ontario, and for the first time we have more than one bull on site – we have three. And over the weekend I had a close call with one of our yearling bulls, and even though I thought that I was prepared/alert, it was a little too close for my liking.

Do any of you have words of wisdom/or tips and tricks on how to handle bulls?

Clean crop but WTF!!!!

Comment

Two words,EXPRESS PRO.

Comment

That's what I mean when I say it's a WTF moment! When your crop checking! My hailed out ones looked like that!
        Hit the chem company hard!

Comment

I have a neighbour asking for just shy of a mill from DuPont. They claim a poor sprayer clean out. Smoked 3000 acres of canola and 500 acres of peas. All from a little white residue that won't clean out.

Comment

Holy shit.

How many acres we talking?

Comment

Breadwinner, what chemical? We had sundance issues in the late 90s monsanto was good to deal with on that one

Comment

It was Express Pro.

Comment

Is there a good reason to use express, heat, prepass..... other than chemical company marketing? why not just use a higher rate of glyphosate?

Comment

Different modes of action, to help delay roundup resistance.

Comment

We use half rate of express sg with glyphosate every yr on peas to take out volunteer canola and broadleaf residual.

As evidenced by crop pics we do not have s problem with it.

Furrow mentioned often enough about heat this year. That's Heat not express damage

Comment

I keep several bulls in a 3 acre pen, for my own use and for sale, so I have strange individuals around as well as myself, with a bunch of horny beasts. Everything is as cool as a cucumber and they are just as nice to be around as my cows.

Anything that has any kind of attitude goes. They aren't worth getting killed over, or worse yet, killing an innocent person/bystander.

Comment

Agree. We keep six or seven bulls at any one time. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to them being aggressive towards us. One was being loaded for pasture a couple of years ago, and put Hubby over the fence. Picked him up and tossed him. He did not go to pasture. He went to the auction. Bulls are too big and too powerful to put up with that kind of nonsense. Life's too short. Besides, we don't want that aggressive attitude being bred into our cows.

That being said, if you get that many bulls in one place, every once in a while a fight will break out, and that's when it also gets dangerous. We don't blame them or cull them for that, mainly because the idiots don't even know we are there. But if we have a real fighter who does nothing but cause trouble he gets a ride to town too. There's no point in having three get hurt because one's a fighter. To say nothing of the property damage...

Did your bull get aggressive with you? Or was he involved scrapping with another bull? How you deal with it will depend on what he was doing. If he's only a yearling, and he's already aggressive, he won't get better as he gets bigger.

Comment

It's not express sg. We have used half rate on peas since it came out even a year before on tests plots. We use half rate for peas never a problem. One note were black soil zone.

Comment

Group 2 resistance is way more of a problem than roundup resistance. No money in selling roundup so chem companies have to come up with new fancy more expensive names to do the same job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...