• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO “A Day in the Life of a Beef Producer”

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIDEO “A Day in the Life of a Beef Producer”

Hello all!

I introduced myself earlier, but I am one of 16 (across Canada) part of the Cattlemen’s Young Leaders (CYL) program. One of my fellow CYL-ers from Manitoba won a video blog competition to travel to Texas for the Five Nations Beef Alliance trip in October. Check out his video below and let me know what you think:

>

Looking ahead into the future, what do you think will be beef producers biggest challenge in the future? Higher input costs, consumers, the environment? Is there a way that we can better position ourselves to meet future demands? Great video Btw!

Comment

On my ipad, there is nothing there. I will check out the video on the laptop.

Comment

No surprise here - they've been heading that way for a long time. The further they get from WW2 memories the easier it becomes. It's the global market, don't worry - be happy we don't have room for agriculture here attitude.
        By the what do you mean "will big subsidies be on the way again"? they never went away, lol

Comment

The land we presently farm was opened up to produce wheat and cattle for export to Britain.
          Two world wars cut off exports but otherwise trade in grains was a good thing for both countries.
          About the only good reason for striving for self sufficiency is expectation of another war.

Comment

I posted it while on my laptop. Let me know when you've had a chance to take a look.

The contest requirements said that video-blog entries had to be 3 minutes in length or less, so I thought given the perimeters he did a really good job.

Comment

Biggest challenge is a mind unwilling to open and adapt to change. And if you view consumers as a challenge, you're one of those minds.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback DGoodrich. Do you think Brett did a good job in his “A Day in a Life of a Beef Producer” video?

Would you agree that most beef producers fall into the “unwilling to open and adapt to change” category? How would consumers fit into that? It would be great to get your insight!

Comment

I'd certainly put most beef producers into the “unwilling to open and adapt to change” category?
                  Beef consumers are changing way faster than beef producers.

Comment

I guess the bigger question should be – do beef producers require a catalyst in order to change? Do we need more legislation from government to make certain practices mandatory? And how can beef producers keep up with consumer trends? What do you see as the biggest trend in the next 5 years?

Comment

As Grassfarmer stated, producers are slower to change. They become entrenched in the mundane tasks of everyday farming, making ends meet and finding time for family. We all do it.

Consumers are fickle, always have been since the days of Rome or earlier. Dazzled with entertainment, wine and song they will ignore things until they can't. Give them an idea and a story and they rush like moths to a flame.

That is exactly why we moved to a grass based natural program where there is nothing to hide. We do everything on grass and hay, organically, so there is no chemical, additive, hormone or injection to be debated. I don't need to argue the dangers or benefits of such things, because we don't use any of it. If it isn't in our production model there is nothing to argue about. It can't get anymore natural unless the consumer hunts it down in the wild.

I think consumers will always be easily swayed, so I'd rather do it this way and have nothing to hide.

Comment

That’s a really refreshing take on things DGoodrich!

When did you move to the grass based program? And what was your biggest challenge when making the shift? What is the common reaction that you get from consumers when you talk about how you raise your cattle? Or does it even come up often? Sorry for all the questions but your comment really piqued my interest!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...