• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germany to reject EU-Canada trade deal

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany to reject EU-Canada trade deal

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/report-Germany-to-reject-eu-canada-trade-deal/article19795900/

Good for them - at least somebody is thinking on that side of the Atlantic about this deal.

Comment

of course who wants Canadian beef in eu
      get rid off the implants hormone!!!
      we doin,t have any cheap beef to send any more .
      hope we keep up this high beef return !
      2000 dollar replacement going on full feed .
      better lock in some profit cattleman, so the government is not needed to help us out again nice profit he !!!

Comment

Don't worry the Germans haven't scuppered Canadian hormone treated beef going to Europe, it was excluded under the deal anyway from my understanding.

Comment

I am getting old I guess or losing my mind ,but would you remind me how the Gov. helped us during B.S.E. OR ANY OTHER TIME ?

Comment

Not that its the issue here but:

June 19, 2003: Federal government announces $190 million in BSE compensation and pledges to spend $30 million on excess beef. The joint federal-provincial aid program totals $460 million.

March 22, 2004: Federal government releases $680 million in mad cow relief to cattle farmers.

Sept. 10, 2004: Federal government gives $488 million in aid to cattle producers.

March 29, 2005: Federal government announces $321 million in immediate assistance to cattle ranchers and other animal producers.

Comment

Those are announcements and pledges. How much was actually spent? How much went to the wrong places?

I know millions in so called processing expansion money were pledged and actually applied for here in Manitoba, just to be taken back off the table. Enough to kill two new plants, and seriously harm the only one left standing.

Comment

The conventional beef/cattle industry is more dysfunctional today than ever with far more concentration of power in the hands of Cargill and now JBS than any time in history. When producers simply wake up to that fact and tell our government that the only way we can entertain all of the market potential waiting for us around the world is through a reversal of this concentration, we will move forward.

As much as supply and demand are making ag boy and others yump for joy, the pool in the system will keep shifting. Our packer buddies are the only ones who can have any say over their position beyond supply and demand issues. They even have our major retailers pissed.

They can not even be included in what people refer to as the conventional beef value chain as the have limited their liability in so many ways and
                proven they are above an open book/ transparency game time and time again.

The challenges we have with any offshore markets are due to the oligopoly principles of concentration, obvious captive supply game playing on international fronts and refusal to custom harvest for anyone willing to enter these markets that our government and industry leadership are bragging about opening.

I realise that most of you don't give a shit any more and don't even want to entertain what I have to say. Fine - does that cause myself and my group to give up - hell no.

Am I asking for government help? - No more than what they gave or give the current players. They do need to under-stand the process however, which our industry leadership continues to deny or even under-stand themselves. And producers who know the truth like a lot of you who read agriville simply refuse to speak up. This thing can still be repaired and the number of awakened beef cattle souls in Canada is growing every day.

Comment

Keep her going Randy....I'm behind you!
                  But I will admit I am tired and even with better prices it is hard to get too excited.
                  The BSE thing did wear us down, and I really can't encourage youngsters to go for it, because our "elected" powers are not there for us......their world becomes pretty convoluted.
                  This heat makes a guy tired and bitchy too....;-)

Comment

perfecho, at least you have an excuse! It's chilly here in the east so I can't even blame the heat...

Comment

But back to the topic of the EU/Canada trade agreement. For what it's worth, my wacky conspiracy theory of the day is that this rejection by Germany has more to do with Russia then anything else. IMHO Russia is a more important trading partner to Germany then Canada will ever be.

Comment

Ah yes littledoggie - Russia - The country that is brave enough to stand up to the IMF and the Fed; and not only the Germans are paying attention. And all the while Putin is being painted by the bankster controlled media as the bad guy... Probably too much for this thread.

However, Germany and the rest of the world are waking up to this scam and realising that the only way to stop the destruction is to stop the ones who are promoting it. Canada has an incredible opportunity and my hope is that we have some Canadians with balls as big as Putin's. And we do. Signs everywhere; from more Chinese investment in Canadian business to allowing JBS and not simply another American into Brooks. Cause it was ALLOWED after all. Go big balled Canuckleheads.... LOL

Check out how Germany is checking out the BRICS union and their new bank.

Comment

Littledoggie, I think it has more to do with Germany wishing to retain their sovereignty and not get into some of the restrictions placed on them by trade agreements like this.
                          As an agricultural export market Russia doesn't make up a big part of the German total. Around 1.6 billion Euro out of a total of 62 billion Euro - around 2.5%. Germany is very much a Euro zone trader both for imports and exports.

Comment

With our standard of living and wages the cop is too high to ever think of being a exporter to most countrys except for the realy high or the realy low cuts of meat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.