• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New wheat variety comparisons.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New wheat variety comparisons.

Does anyone know or have any experience with the Mackenzie, or AC Intrepid hard red wheats. I would like a variety that will yield over 80 bus/ac on irrigation. I have heard of Mackenzie doing 100 bus/ac , which is astronomical for a hard red spring. Any good, or bad info about these varities would be welcome to help me decide on a new variety for under irrigation in Southern Alberta.

A seed grower in the Bow Island area, 'Will VanRoessel' is quoted in an AC Intrepid brochure as having a yield of 90 bu./acre (irrigated) and a protien of 14.3% . You could probably get more information from him. His e-mail address is wvanroes@memlane.com Good luck

Comment

we are in the trochu/three-hills area and have had neighbors who have had macenzie yeilds as high as 70-80 bushels this past year and in 98 we had reports of 55 bushels with only 3.5 inches of summer rain. as a result there is probably going to be alot in this area next year. should be gould under irigation as we had a terific amount of rain this past summer.

Comment

Both Mackenzie and Intrepid show good yield potential. In the latest Cereal and Oilseed listing from Alberta Agriculture (The Seed Guide), yield is listed at Intrepid = 100%, Mackenzie = 116% compared to the check (Katepawa)under irrigation in area 1 & 2. Under dryland conditions in area 1, Intrepid = 103, Mackenzie = 106. If you're looking for yield, both are strong performers. If you're looking for a variety with protein levels consistently above the checks, these varieties are not exceptional although they are comparable to the check (Katepawa). Lodging resistance is rated as good for both varieties. Intrepid is rated poor for root rot and sprouting while Mackenzie is rated as excellent and fair consecutively.

Comment

Check with Cargill in Burdett or Lethbridge in regards to a variety of HRS wheat that they handle called AC Splendor. They have incredible yields and protein levels with this variety. The highest documented field yield I saw was under irrigation at 107 bu/acre with 16% pro. Good all round variety.

Comment

We grew MacKenzie under irrigation this past year and were fairly impressed. The overall yield was not exceptional (approx. 70 bu/ac), but we had about 30% of the field suffer heavy rain damage early in the spring, so where the crop was good, it was very good. Protein level also came in over 14%. Bottom line: we will likely try this variety again. The only down side is that we did struggle somewhat with lodging. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...