• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Bred Heifer Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Bred Heifer Prices

What do you think bred heifers will bring this winter?

Based on market prices, I would think they should be good, assuming there is someone out there who can afford to outbid the packer buyers. We were doing some math on the price of open 8 to 9 weights last night, and they alone cost more than bred cows were this time last year.

Comment

The packer buyers are pretty keen - saw a cull cow sell yesterday weighing 1645lbs @$1.3675 for $2250.

Comment

Would think they would be relatively strong, some younger people are looking into cattle for investment.
        A year or two more of these decent prices and then even grain farmers should be looking.....then it will be strong..;-) IMHO
        Do you have any Gelbvieh's up for bid?

Comment

I'm going to have a pen of 70 bred heifers for sale this fall/winter. I'm trying to decide how many i'm going to keep based on price.

If your interested check them out on my website: www.whiskeycreekranches.com on the cattle tab

Comment

Top cut heifers on the feeder market will probably bring $1600 for 850 to 9 wts.
            If you can get them across the line, a lot more.
            Add bulls,opens,preg checking, deads, health, marketing, and trucking.
            $2100 to call it a nice hobby.
            For every $100 extra you get about$5000 a load.
            I've sold breds at fair premiums for years but I always wonder if It's more than a hobby.

Comment

They should be high, but there is more breds coming this fall to town than I think we have ever seen. So many going to cut in half or get out all together. I can't see enough people crazy enough to buy breds nowadays. 20 cows are an easy 40k. Buy a decent house in a small town, or buy 100 cows....decisions, decisions.

None of old timers want to be the dumb bunny that held on till everything crashes.

Comment

Some interesting arithmetic you guys are throwing out. greybeard I'm thinking the additional production cost of selling bred heifers in the fall versus selling feeder heifers would be closer to $100 than $500. Really your only extra costs are the bulls, breeding shots if you give them and the preg checking.

15444, the choice in AB is a little different - buy an average house in Calgary or buy 275 of the $2000 cows.

The ecision for me is an easy one - you couldn't pay me to live in Calgary, lol.

Comment

I had no idea Calgary was a small town.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...