• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this possible?..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this possible?..

Hey i am in the same posistion as chickadee only i am a bit younger and have family in farming

i am 17 years old and will be taking a agriculture course in university then working a few years before hopefully purchasing a farm, i am interested in Grain Farming such as Canola,Wheat,Barley,oats ETC
    do ppl here think iam crazy for this, but my uncles are big time farmers in Saskatchewan ( 8000 acres ) and i love the lifestyle of being ur own boss working for ur self rural life style, machinery ETC

so once agian,,
    i am not crazy for wanting to do this am i?
    Brad

I do not think your crazy, but!!
    Don't base your future on a few visits to "the farm" as a kid. Get a job on one for awile and see how you like it. There's a lot more to farming than the lifestyle.
    I have been farming for 20 years and now have went back to the workforce. I am still in agriculture but the work is easier, less pressure, and I get a nice paycheck every second week.

Comment

Farming is a wonderful lifestyle, it is also a business, that must be in the forefront of your decision to farm. Instead of taking just a single course in agriculture, look into getting a degree in agriculture. I know four years of agricultural economics, business and science in university truly opened my eyes. I would also try to get a mentor outside of your family that farms (I am not saying that family cannot be good instructors, as they have great teachers for me, but I do think it is also a benefit to learn skills from outside sources in somewhat of a relationship setting). I have done this and the learning has been extremely beneficial to my decision making processes.
      Enjoy school!

Comment

Anything is possible... I have spent the last 15 years working off the farm and working towards creating the "the farm". The most valuable experience included going to school but was mostly working in several provinces with a huge variety of people . Its a big world out there with so much to learn from. Only thing is its now that I truly see and realize what I have learned and how it molded me to who i am today. Staying at home wouldn't have done that. As for the business part of it all, I won't discourage you by saying this ( I know I won't anyway ), But I find it very critical to keep looking back to see how my goals are being met and or if not where things are going. I mean not all off farm jobs were picnics on the beach and I never wanted those tougher times to be repeated. I guess I am saynig make every moment count. Because it isn't a cheap endeavor. I have had some help in the beginning from farmimg family, but no silver spoons or attractive merge offers. So the business courses will be you biggest asset. well , I won't talk your ear off, but would I do it all over again.........maybe...stay in touch.

Comment

Did you look into the voc-ag course at the u of s.You get seeding and harvest off and you learn a tonne.The only bad thing is being hung over from all the partying.And yes it is always possible.

Comment

hey, consider preeceville , Its good land that goes for 20000 to 30000 per quarter. Thats as cheap as renting. Another word of advice is , be carefull about machinery companies selling you expensive equipment. Take your time, dont rush. Its easy to spend large amounts of money in this business.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.